struggling to get a hearty rolling boil going

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The element is running through an Inkbird pid with SSR, I am assuming that just offers a few more potential points of failure? does this alter the measurement criteria at all?
Yes it does matter. Wort boils at a temperature above that of water because of the sugar content so what temperature are you setting your PID to? Really a PID controller is ideal for mashing but for the boil I think a manual variable regulator is more suited.

Sorry foxbat, I should have been clearer! I am using the temp sensor to indicate mash temp and the pod is set to manual mode, to control the boil element. I have tested having this set to 100, I have also set it to 90% to check that the element indicator lamp goes off for 1/10 of the time then reduced it to 50% just to make sure it was acting correctly, then back to 100 to attempt to achieve the boil. I do think maybe I have been fooled into thinking it should look explosive by some YouTube videos of boiling wort too!

Back