Stuck 2nd Fernentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dosfairways

Reaction score
Hi All.
I’m trying to complete a Muntons Belgian style Ale. First fermentation went as planned, but on transferring to new bucket along with 500g of light spraymalt with half cup of yeast lees from 1st bucket there was no evidence of further fermentation through airlock and reading has remained at 1.010. I added 10g of Bulldog B44 European Ale yeast a couple of days ago to see if would budge but still nothing, but just noticed that the best before date on the sachet shows 05/21 so that maybe why. Should I pitch more yeast (in date!) to try and kick it off again and if so which one, or try something else. Thanks

Why did you ferment it and then Transfer and add spray malt ?
also what was it at before you added the spray malt if it is at 1.010 now ?

Here’s the instructions I got with it - it was 1.010 before I added spray malt and hasn’t moved since.

Why did you ferment it and then Transfer and add spray malt ?
also what was it at before you added the spray malt if it is at 1.010 now ?
Here’s the instructions I got with it. It was 1.010 before I added the spraymalt and hasn’t moved since

Attachments

• 620B3566-8370-44B7-A8B3-CAAC58B79CAF.jpeg
    620B3566-8370-44B7-A8B3-CAAC58B79CAF.jpeg
    90.8 KB · Views: 37
I’ve never tried this kit. I’m no expert but have done 18 kits so far. I think if I was doing this I would have added the 500g of spray malt along with the initial kit at the start and just left it for 2 weeks. Then transfer to a bottling bucket and bottle the beer.
Let us know how it turns out. Sometimes I have found that the fermentation process slows right down after 4-5 days but the beer will still be bubbling away when your not looking. I check by pressing down on the lid to create bubbles and reset the level in the airlock. When you come back a few hours later you can see that the level has changed meaning that it was bubbling. Good luck.

It's kind of similar to the Duvel clone I've seen--adding the sugar in steps though that was DME (spray malt) in the recipe.
It seems more an advanced procedure since you really have to rely on experience of "when to do when" than just automatically add something based on a day. This is because you don't know how long fermentation will take down to the day.
As mentioned, doing what you did was sufficient and it's probably done.

Have you tasted it? Is it too sweet, or possibly drinkable after clearing/conditioning - if you think it is possibly ok, bottle or keg and regroup and have another go

Latest posts

Back