Stuck carbonation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren Jeory

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi there

Did my first belgian blonde and wanted to be patient. Let it ferment for 2 weeks in primary (no airlock activity) then let it sit in secondary for a week.

Bottled with priming sugar and 10 days on there is little/no carbonation.

What have I done wrong and what should I do?

Tha ks

Potential issues;
  • If batch primed then sugar was not mixed fully across the beer
  • Gas leak in a keg or bottle
  • Too cold
  • Too hot
Likely issue:
  • Just needs more time

Hi there

Did my first belgian blonde and wanted to be patient. Let it ferment for 2 weeks in primary (no airlock activity) then let it sit in secondary for a week.

Bottled with priming sugar and 10 days on there is little/no carbonation.

What have I done wrong and what should I do?

Tha ks
To find out what you have done wrong you will need to give more information. Hydrometer readings how the priming sugar was introduced and how much, temperature storage of bottles.

OG was 0051 and FG was 0011. Used CML belgian ale yeast and fermented at room temp.

Used table sugar in hot water and put this in my bottling bucket before siphoning in. Beer is still cloudy after sitting for 11 days. I'm not especially sharp on attenuation

The yeast should be able to cope with that as it will do upto 9.5% with a single sachet according to the CML spec. Are the bottles stored at room temp too or are they somewhere colder? if not deffo put somewhere warmer infact do this anyway as Leon has said maybe the yeast just needs a nudge

I’ve had a few beers when I bottled that took 3 weeks to carb. I think you should just put them somewhere warm and forget about them for 2 weeks. It will do them no harm at all. The yeast will still be there and will do their job if left alone

I shouldn't think so. Like said...where are the bottles kept?
Looking at your numbers I take it you mean it went from 1.050 to 1.011? This gives 77% attenuation and abv of around 5%. Does this sound where you expected?

Yeah abv is approx 5%

Latest posts

Back