Stuck Ferment / Under Attenuation Issue?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, Quick update, I have done a manual hydrometer reading tonight and it has dropped 1 point since Friday (when I checked and pitched the 2nd packet of yeast) to 1014. I use a large scale hydrometer with individual point markings so I am fairly positive I am not getting mixed up or have misread. there is no noticeable activity on the surface or in the air lock (no bubbles in the starsan solution).

I presume it is possible to have fermentation going very very slowly and be dropping SG with no obvious signs of fermentation? Anyway unless I have got mixed up or am seeing things (possible but unlikely) I think it is definitely weight to the argument from @Sadfield and @dmtaylor to leave it another week or two.

Let me know of any thoughts.

Again appreciate the advice.
I would like to know your mash temperatures and how close you was to them, along with your pH?

I would like to know your mash temperatures and how close you was to them, along with your pH?
Mash temp was 63 Celsius for 60 mins, then 72 for 30 mins. Mash ph was a bit of a mystery ph meter packed in so I was flying blind I added half the lactic that brew father suggested as, a edge your bets guess.

Mash temp was 63 Celsius for 60 mins, then 72 for 30 mins. Mash ph was a bit of a mystery ph meter packed in so I was flying blind I added half the lactic that brew father suggested as, a edge your bets guess.
Well you should have got the most of out of the mash for the fermentable sugars, as long as your mash tun is calibrated correctly?

Well you should have got the most of out of the mash for the fermentable sugars, as long as your mash tun is calibrated correctly?
Well I'd like to think so, its a braumeister 2021 model so about 5 brews old now. Although technology isn't perfect, and that is a good point you raise so I will double check with my trusted thermometer next time out.

Hi all,

I am going to do another manual reading tonight, but no change on the tilt so think thins are pretty dormant now. My plan going forwards is this coming weekend rack it into a secondary / bottling bucket (will have had an extra 2w in primary FV) and then leave a further week and then batch prime for 2.5vols and bottle the week after. Idea being the transfer might kick some activity off.

With doing this and using a bottling bucket, am i right in saying there should still be enough yeast present to bottle condition and produce carbonation shouldn't there?

Thanks in advance.

am i right in saying there should still be enough yeast present to bottle condition and produce carbonation shouldn't there?
Yes, for sure. In my experience, there is plenty of yeast still present for a period of at least about 8 or 9 weeks. I only add more yeast at bottling if/when the fermentation has been completed for more than 2 or 3 months. This happens a lot with my meads and ciders where I condition for 6-12 months. But in beer, it would be extremely rare that it would be conditioning for so long that I would find it necessary to add more yeast.

Back