Stuck Fermentation?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Landlord.
Reaction score
Made a Woodfordes Admiral Reserve Ale kit last Thursday (7 days ago) with an OG of 1050.
It has been bubbling away quite nicely under my kitchen table ever since. This morning I took a hydrometer reading and was disappointed to see it read 1020...it surely has to come down further than that....what would be best way to do this.
Temp on strip is brown/yellow 22 degrees and blue 20 degrees so im presuming 21 degrees

Ps when I opened this kit It had 2 satchets of yeast in it....I took this as a mistake and put the extra one in my cupboard....surely these kits dont need 2 yeast satchets or do they?
Look forward to replies

I used both yeast sachets in mine but had a similar fermentation to what it sounds like you are having, smashed through the first 30 points in about 4 days then took another week to finish out at 1.012. If I were you I'd leave it another week then check the gravity again.

These kits are now supplied with 2 packets of yeast as they kept stalling/sticking at 1.020 when they used to come with only one 6g packet. There are numerous threads on here about this (mainly the Woodforde's Wherry kit) and I think it was a mod on here who wrote to Muntons and persuaded them to put 2 packs of yeast in the kit. I would dump the second pack of yeast in pronto, give it a stir with a sterilised spoon (making sure not to splash the wort about) and then check the gravity in another few days time.

Definitely more time not many kits finish properly in a week
2 weeks would be my minimum before i even bother to check

Last night put in the 2nd pack of yeast. Gave it a good stir and covered it with a towel....today next morning nothing as still as pond no sign of any activety whatsoever....

It'll take time for a dried yeast to get it's act together and start showing fresh activity. 12 hours might be enough for a really vibrant yeast, but I'd give it 24-36 hours for signs of fresh activity.

This is 6 days since I sprinkled 2nd satchet of yeast in and stirred...a few days later I dissolved some sugar in hot water again adding and stirred.
There was a little activity...but taking a hydrometer reading today its around the 1016 mark ...its 2 weeks today since brewing it...any thoughts....or just keg?

I started an Admiral Reserve kit around 10 days ago. My first beer kit. I had seen the older posts about stuck fermentations with this kit so I used both of the included yeast packets. I added the yeast when it was still a bit warm 23 degrees. I have held the temperature at 20 degrees since then. After 4 days when I added the hop powder mine was down at 1010. I will check again in 2 days and then bottle. Hopefully adding your second packet will finish yours off. Good luck!

I waited nearly 8 weeks once for an IPA bottled at 1020 was fine to drink

Made a Woodfordes Admiral Reserve Ale kit last Thursday (7 days ago) with an OG of 1050.
It has been bubbling away quite nicely under my kitchen table ever since. This morning I took a hydrometer reading and was disappointed to see it read 1020...it surely has to come down further than that....what would be best way to do this.
Temp on strip is brown/yellow 22 degrees and blue 20 degrees so im presuming 21 degrees

Ps when I opened this kit It had 2 satchets of yeast in it....I took this as a mistake and put the extra one in my cupboard....surely these kits dont need 2 yeast satchets or do they?
Look forward to replies

Mines stuck at 1020 too.
Started my Admiral reserve 11 days ago in my brewing fridge Temp 19c
start Og 1054 used both yeast supplied also added 1 teaspoon of wilko Yeast nutrient.
After 5 days added hop sachet.
Today its reading is 1020. It tasted rather nice at this stage. Current Alc% 4.5.
Was hoping to bottle at day 14 but it might be a while at this rate.
Will try the advice mentioned by Terrym

I am convinced these Woodford kits require loads of oxygen dissolving in the wort at the start of fermentation.
I also had a stuck wherry even with two packets of yeast.
I intend to try my theory but have a couple of brews to do first.

The fact that so many are finishing at 1020 suggests that it is the kit itself rather than the yeast pitching rate. I've never really understood why pitching a lower rate would cause a stuck fermentation several days later by which point there are 500 bn+ yeast cells that suddenly decide they're not playing anymore and stop eating and reproducing. Imo pitch rate has more to do with long lag times, off flavours and infection risk.

I would ferment at 19C or above (i.e. don't ferment in the garage/shed at this time of year) and let the temperature increase a couple of degrees as you see the activity subside. If it finishes at 1020 then that's the way nature intended, drink and enjoy.

Thanks for the tips. My Admiral's Reserve took almost 3 days to start then roared for 3 days and stopped - stuck at 1.020. I hydrated a sachet of Wilco ale yeast, stirred it in and increased the temp. Nothing happenned, no happy little bubbles. Annoyed, I switched it off. But I checked the SG yesterday and it was 1.010. So, lesson learned...

If people are bottling at 1020 would they also prime or hope it ferments out in the bottle?

Latest posts

Back