Stuck mead

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikes1992

Reaction score
I've had a mead fermenting for about 3 months and it has stalled around 1.03 and ideally I'd like to get it to 1.015 as I find anything above is much too sweet... Currently it is dropping about 0.002 points per month which means it's going to take about 7 months to complete at the current rate assuming it doesn't slow down further. It is producing bubbles still but I was wondering if adding a bit of citric acid would help as I read that you can help a mead along by making the PH more acidic. I did add a higher alcohol tolerant yeast yesterday but I can't imagine there's any available oxygen to form a new colony easily (I'd introduce more but that just increases the risk of infection and oxygenation. I wish I'd have asked before then though because I didn't really want a totally dry mead if the new yeast does managed to set in at around 10% alcohol as I'm well aware the yeast I added can easily get to 17% in an unfermented wine.

The samples I've taken and taste tested I'd say it currently tastes like Turkish delight which isn't a bad thing but not something I'd really enjoying drinking more then a couple sips of.

You must be making it "the old fashioned" way to be talking these timescales.

Mead made with added yeast nutrient and a yeast starter properly rehydrated at the right temperatures should be able to polish off a 10% mead to dryness in about 2wks. start to finish.
Mine do:- both bread yeast and ecc-1118 versions.

Mead made more traditionally can take a very,very long time to ferment,"And even Longer to mature" As from the yeasts point of view there is nothing in honey apart from sugar.

You are correct at the stage this is now at, Its probably best to let it run its course

The citric acid acid would also be a "late" addition.
In any case it has to be used with great care in mead because as well as having no nutrient, Mead musts also have no buffering capacity either.!!!!
Unless made with extremely hard water.

Hi
Gosh, 3 months.
What was your starting gravity and how much honey? I find an SG of 1090-1100 is usually adequate as a starting point with 1.5kg honey per 4.5lts
John is spot on with his thoughts though about a fortnight or so to get through primary and into secondary so it's likely done.
Have you given it a good swirl? Sometimes there is active yeast hiding away in the sediment and a bit of agitation gets it going again. Ultimately you may have to brew it dry, hit it with a metabisulphite/pot sorbate mix and back sweeten to taste.
Good luck and look forward to seeing how you get on.
T

Latest posts

Back