Stuck Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vizen2

Reaction score
Fellow brewers, the more I brew the more questions I have, funny that. I have a Mangrove Jack’s roasted stout in the fermentor and it seems to have stuck at 1.020, after dry hopping a week ago the SG hasn’t moved. I gave it a good stir 2 days ago and pushed the temp up to 24C, this morning still no air lock activity. I was considering adding a rehydrated packet of yeast, should I add 5 or 10 g, would adding extra yeast have a detrimental effect either way. Any thoughts on how to rescue this, my first stuck brew.
Thanks

Last edited:
Cheers, it started at 1.051 so not too high, I’ve just checked it and after the stir it’s dropped to 1.018ish. If I did add extra yeast and it didn’t drop any further would it harm the beer/taste?

Cheers, it started at 1.051 so not too high, I’ve just checked it and after the stir it’s dropped to 1.018ish. If I did add extra yeast and it didn’t drop any further would it harm the beer/taste?
If the SG is still coming down I would leave it. Some brews just take a long time. But if you do decide to add more yeast it will either get your beer down a few more points or it wont, but in my view is very unlikely to affect the taste, since all the yeast will eventually drop out, and its also a stout with a lot going on.

Thanks, I’ll give it another week and take a view, if it’s down to 1.010ish I’ll bottle if not I’ll chuck in more yeast and watch this space. Cheers

Ditto the above!

One of the longest brew I have ever had was an Oatmeal Stout which took from 14th December to 25th January to fall from 1.060 down to 1.011 (i.e. 6.43%)

Patience is a wonderful thing to develop and brewing is one of the best activities to practice the art!

Still stuck so earlier today I added 10g of rehydrated yeast, seems to have started fermenting again, will give it a week and see where the SG has got to. Watch this space.
Thanks again for all your input.

Latest posts

Back