Styrian Cardinal hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Baron

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi just a heads up for anybody who has not used these hops. I have just used them in a rye beer and very surprised a lot like EKG. got them in the bargain pack of 6 hops for a tenner last year can't remember which online brew supply it was but well worth it and ideal in a british style bitter/ales

Sorry to dig up an old thread. But what are these like? I looked at a hop profile and it says citrus. Worth it in a single hop pale?

As I said I found them to be like EKG or First Gold so just look up the descriptors for them. I did not get citrus as such I would say earthy with a slight orangy/marmalade finish. They were a excellent replacement for the milder british hops IMO

Hi Mangold

I used them in a Red Ale ... you know "Cardinal Red" like the birds and the bishops wink... ... and would agree with Baron "earthy with a slight orangy/marmalade finish" sounds about spot on.

Cheers, PhilB

Thanks. Doesn't sound what I am looking for at the moment. Decided on El Dorado instead, not sure that fits but have always been interested!!!

Back