Subscription services

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fury_tea

Landlord.
Reaction score
Anyone a member of any?

I got a couple of Beer52 deliveries a while back and they were quite good but pricey.

I've seen that brewdog have jumped in and are offering 8 small "sessionable" (so low %) cans for £20 + £3.95 postage. For me they would be long gone in one night.

Is anyone actually paying £24 for that?

Anyone who does use them (a subscription service), which one, how much do you pay, and would you say it's worth it?

Agreed about the price of these things. I'm too tight.

My wife has bought a number of cases for me over the years - Fathers Day, Advent Calendar, Birthdays etc. ,and much as I appreciate the gesture, I do feel they are a rip off. There are some good beers, but equally there are some really poor efforts! On the plus side it has made me try some styles that I wouldn't ordinarily have bought for myself, and as a result I have got a bit of a taste for Wheat beers now, when I used to think they were all horrible.

My brother asked me for a beer selection for his birthday, and I went to the supermarket and bought him a selection of bottle ales (his thing). I got a lot more for the money that way (probably twice as many) - not as convenient perhaps, but did I mention I'm tight!

I think it depends on whether you judge it on price or trying some limited edition beers.
If all you are interested in is price, then supermarket deals and online specials are the way to go. If you like craft beer then Morrison's and Tesco have upped their game in the last couple of years.

I have one of the Northern Monk monthly subscriptions. Yes, the beer isn't cheap but I get a selection of their one off specials which I wouldn't get to otherwise try as they sell out pretty quickly online. I also get to try some new styles that I normally wouldn't go for. They've just revamped these starting with the delivery due in about 2 hours acheers.

I have had a few boxes from the likes if beer52 when they do their offers and had the recent 'free brewdog box and would say they aren't worth the money and the selection was poor. I much rather select my own beers from a bottle shop, speciality web site, favourite brewery or even the supermarket.

Another option would be honest brew where you can pay £10 a month, gets you access to discounts and you use the money as you wish.

I bought a Flavourly trial a couple of weeks back - I had no intention of subscribing but had run my stock of HB down for my garage conversion, needed to get some beer in and thought their promo offer was too good to be true.

It was well worth the promotional price (£29 for 24 cans, 2 glasses and a bag of crisps) but I’ve not been particularly impressed so far with the actual beer - more likely to make me say “I can make better than that” than “wow, that’s a great beer!”

A couple of stand outs (the Loch Lomond and GUN brewery ones) but most of them taste the same (thin and under hopped) and I found one can of oxidised beer in the batch.

Last edited:
I also had a Flavourly box, at a similar price last year. It was a mixture of 330 and 440 ml cans, of different styles and breweries. Whilst there were a few really good beers in there, one of which I have attempted cloning, they doubled (and quadrupled) up on some of the blander beers.

Overall good value, low to mid range craft beer, certainly better than picking up 24 assorted cans from Aldi/Lidl and paying similar money. Only downside, the perpetual stream of emails trying to flog their latest offers.

I also got a Flavourly box. I cant remember the details of the deal but it was good value on paper. The beers were all a bit meh with the exception of one that I thought was good. As MmmBeer said there were a lot of doubles etc. I don't think I would bother again.

I recently had one discounted delivery from Brew Republic with a glass and a dozen beers for £15 with half price voucher code and there was a few good ones in the mix but at least half I personally was underwhelmed and thought I have brewed better or would get a better return at the supermarket but what it did do was give me the chance to sample a few that I've never tried before and if I get the opportunity will do it again.

I've used Flavourly, Beer52, Honest Brew and signed up to the new Brewdog one, OK at the promo prices but after that I'll be using the supermarket again. Beer52 and honestbrew also give you further offers when you go to cancel so I've used them a few times.

The frustrating thing I find is the little 330ml sizes aren't enough when you really enjoy one. To be fair Beer52 in particular is good for trying a variety of different and exclusive beers and the magazine is quite good, it's the nearly 30 quid for some little beers that I could finish in a night that's the downside

Last edited:
I tried Beer 52, found it overpriced and undervalue. There were a couple of decent beers but, most I would not give fridge room too if they were free. Too many pretentious "Chocolate with a hint of Coffee" type trash in there. Cancelling my subscription was a chore too.

I have a couple of friends really into craft beers and they all seem to order direct from the breweries. I can imagine they spend a bloody fortune on shipping to the Highlands, let alone the £3.00 a can upwards.
During the first lockdown, I wanted to order some different beers but went to checkout and saw the price and went nope (especially as husband was furloughed). So now I just try and make the styles I want. Still expensive in some cases, but more satisfying and I can drink more than a 330ml can!

I subscribe to Fyne Ales Mini Cask Club. 2 x 5l mini casks at £40per month incl delivery.
Have had some great beers, and can say hand on heart that none were disappointing

I get emails from various people such as Beer52 offering me a free box if I subscribe, I just get the free box then cancel got about 3 of those in recent months. I'm also expecting the free box off brewdog shortly which I will cancel after I've got it. Judging on what you receive I would say they are certainly not worth the price. Some of the beers are specifically made for the subscription market and aren't particularly that brilliant, I much prefer what I make myself, but I'll always accept a free box when it's offered. Cheers 🍻

I think it depends on whether you judge it on price or trying some limited edition beers.
If all you are interested in is price, then supermarket deals and online specials are the way to go. If you like craft beer then Morrison's and Tesco have upped their game in the last couple of years.

I have one of the Northern Monk monthly subscriptions. Yes, the beer isn't cheap but I get a selection of their one off specials which I wouldn't get to otherwise try as they sell out pretty quickly online. I also get to try some new styles that I normally wouldn't go for. They've just revamped these starting with the delivery due in about 2 hours acheers.

That OFS Sakura Rice Lager was spectacularly good.

Anyone a member of any?

I got a couple of Beer52 deliveries a while back and they were quite good but pricey.

I've seen that brewdog have jumped in and are offering 8 small "sessionable" (so low %) cans for £20 + £3.95 postage. For me they would be long gone in one night.

Is anyone actually paying £24 for that?

Anyone who does use them (a subscription service), which one, how much do you pay, and would you say it's worth it?
I remember looking at the offer of shares in brew dog you paid loads of money and got 10% discount, I checked the prices and with the discount the supermarket was still cheaper

Back