Substitute for white grape juice?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a quick update on the batch of white. It cleared well but I wasn't over keen on the flavour. I decided to use it for something else (which can't be talked about on this forum) so it didn't go to waste.

I've done the white powder kit too. It fermented fast and cleared well but had a very distinct flavour which I can't identify or have ever encountered before. I didn't like it (no big deal cos I'm not a wine drinker), the missus thought it was alright. Probably just needed more time cos it doesn't hang around long at our drum!

Use sultanas as your white grape grape juice. Two choices with this, mince and boil and strain juice into dj or chop, wash, soak and into must and ferment for 3-4 days and strain into new dj either way you get your equivalent wgj. 250g is equivalent to a ltr of wgj, they sell sultanas in 500g bags for 84p in Lidl's, tescos and asda.
How much water would you use for the first method? Also for the second method do you just add the sultanas to a demijon of water or to the actutal "brew"? and what would you top up with after straining?
Thanks

NOT a good idea to boil sultanas/raisins as a substitute for white grape juice.
Why because you will end up cooking them.(very quickly)
And RUIN the flavour

Trust me,I have been using sultanas and raisins in wine for over Fifty years.

I just add the sultanas to a litre of juice then use a hand blender to lightly blend (I'm just trying to split the skins) then add to the brew.

I just add the sultanas to a litre of juice then use a hand blender to lightly blend (I'm just trying to split the skins) then add to the brew.

Thanks led
so if i put 250g in a litre of aj and blended it together and just added it to the fv I should be good to go?
hoping to make a nice pint gringo or sauv blanc type wine

Yes, just lightly blend (or chop with a knife) and keep coarse to reduce the sediment.

I tend to make 23l batches but one of my go to whites is 10 cans of tesco's value peaches (about 30p a tin), 10 liters of cheap tesco apple juice (55p/l), 1kg of sultanas. add sugar and aim for an OG of 1.090 - 1.100, I also add yeast nutrient and pectolase. I find that EC1118 yeast is good but Wilko or Youngs yeast compounds are fine.

I tend to make 23l batches but one of my go to whites is 10 cans of tesco's value peaches (about 30p a tin), 10 liters of cheap tesco apple juice (55p/l), 1kg of sultanas. add sugar and aim for an OG of 1.090 - 1.100, I also add yeast nutrient and pectolase. I find that EC1118 yeast is good but Wilko or Youngs yeast compounds are fine.
sounds lovely
i might try making that

One other thing with the sultanas, make sure you rinse them as they normally have oil added to stop them sticking together.

Last time i used sultanas, took me hours to rinse the oil off them. I used hot and cold water, but the oil slick just kept forming. Any advice for next time?

Last time i used sultanas, took me hours to rinse the oil off them. I used hot and cold water, but the oil slick just kept forming. Any advice for next time?

I've never had a problem with it transfering to the final product. I just put them (the sultanas) in a colander and rinse under the tap and swirl with my hand for a minute or so. I suppose that any oil left will float on the surface, when you rack you syphon from below so it will get left behind in the last bit of liquid.

I've never had a problem with it transfering to the final product. I just put them (the sultanas) in a colander and rinse under the tap and swirl with my hand for a minute or so. I suppose that any oil left will float on the surface, when you rack you syphon from below so it will get left behind in the last bit of liquid.
Cheer led_zep. I'll just get on with it next time

Is that peaches in WGJ or could you use peaches in syrup? I’m assuming it’s the 410g cans 🙂

Could be either as far as the yeast are concerned its all sugar sugar honey honey baby.
you are my candy girl.

Seriously make wine from any fruit source you can.Just avoid sorbates which are specifically designed to inhibit fermentation.
Check the label. athumb..

Back