Substitute Malts

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crappyfish

Landlord.
Reaction score
Just bought a clone recipe book and I have noticed some of the malts are not available. My question is how much difference in taste are substitute malts to the listed malt? Does it really matter if the malt is not the same as listed.

Thanks for the replies I suppose it's a potential hazard but research is probably needed.

Tell us what they are and maybe someone has already subbed and has some info for you...and anyone else who might be interested in such things..

Tell us what they are and maybe someone has already subbed and has some info for you...and anyone else who might be interested in such things..
It started off by trying to find Irish Ale malt wondered if Ale malt was the same or because it is Irish does it make any difference. Thing about clones is if you've never tasted it before I suppose it doesn't really matter how close it is to the original.

You can get Irish ale malt off Geterbrewed...Minch,...I think!
Trying to replicate a beer is difficult even if you've been brewing for years...even if they give you the recipe!
For base malt I've tried quite a few...pale,Maris otter..from different suppliers,brands,at vast price difference...my go to at the moment is Crisp Pale Ale malt...I get consistent results and my beers turn out fine!

Latest posts

Back