Sugar/alcohol conversion chart

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pomme homme

Regular.
Reaction score
Does anyone have or know of or can anyone provide a hyperlink to a conversion chart that gives, starting from a brix reading, the amount of sugar (grammes per litre) to be added to the must to achieve a specified abv? The chart I have - the only one I could find online - comes from the USA and gives results in ounces per US gallon, which means that I have to undertake supplementary calculations to arrive at the number of grammes of sugar per litre of must required for chapitalisation (sadly necessary as the location of my vines mean that I haven't yet had a vintage when chapitalisation wasn't necessary - although I've achieved, in this annus mirablis, a potential alcohol level of just under 10%).

With my thanks in anticipation.

Thank you, both of you, for those hyperlinks. Whilst I'll study them carefully, later today, at first glance I don't think that they are precisely that for which I'm looking - in that neither seems to tell me, by reference to a brix reading, how much granular sugar I need to add per litre of must to achieve a specific abv in the finished wine. If, on a more careful study, that initial opinion is confirmed, I'll scan the table I have and work from, and then upload that here, which may make my requirement clearer.

It's pretty easy to work out, just take the g/l sugar for the brix you have, take it away from the g/l of the abv you want, and what you are left with is the amount you need to add. So, imagine you have a brix of 11.5 and want 11% abv, then the sugar corresponding to a brix of 11.5 is 123g/L, and what you want is 215g/L, then the difference is 215-123 = 92g/L, which is how much sugar you need to add per litre of must.

Thank you, Iain. I beginning to see why I failed my Maths 'A' level!

I'm glad to say that my Noah and Oberlin grapes both produced a brix reading of 17.2 and I've added sugar with the aim of taking them to, respectively, 12.5 and 13% abv.

Attached is the table that I have been using.
img164.jpg

A lot of the published tables arnt just about sugars they take into account other dissolved solids which can affect the gravity.
I suspect the differences will be quite small,But if there is a discrepancy this would explain it.

In the days before everything went online,

Homewinemakers used to buy books/booklets, Just about every published book had these sorts of tables/charts and how-to`s which would answer about 99% of the questions I get asked and reply to on here.

They are still worth rooting out when in secondhand or charity bookshops.

Back