Sugar vs Mash Temp in a Belgian Beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zephyr259

Landlord.
Reaction score
Doing more research on a Tripel Karmeliet clone and something odd struck me. The clone recipe worked on here have 6% sugar in the recipe which isn't surprising but they've tested the FG as 1.015 and to get that with Wyeast 1214 I'm looking at a 69c mash. If I drop the sugar and mash at 65c I get the same 8.4% abv and I doubt I'll be able to tell the difference, for what it's worth brulosophy got indistinguishable beers ending 10 points apart.

Might also try a step mash but is there any way to predict the outcome of those except by experience? I used a regime on my Helles that was meant to be equivalent to a 67c single infusion but I got slightly higher attenuation, no way to know if it was the yeast or the mash. I do often get slightly higher attenuation on the 2nd or 3rd generation of a yeast.

These Clone recipes are reputed to be very good and may hold the extra info you need.

http://www.candisyrup.com/recipes.html

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
Thanks for those, I've actually found them myself already and they are used in the big thread to refine the clone. I am tempted to go with the CSI recipe mainly because it has higher percentages of the adjuncts which presumably will give more character? I'm also skeptical of the amount of spices the homebrew versions use. The big problem with Tripel Karmeliet is that they use two of their own yeasts and that's all we know. Some have landed on the Chimay strain which is handy as that's what I have on hand just now.

I have been tempted to try that, and after a quick check it's not out of stock for once. The Americans had mixed luck with it from my reading.

Latest posts

Back