Sugar

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labrewski

Landlord.
Reaction score
Is it worth buying brewing sugar or other alternative.s in brewers experience is it much of a difference to use table caster or powdered
I have only done a couple of kits 2 with table sugar but not sure if I noticed a difference

Is it worth buying brewing sugar or other alternative.s in brewers experience is it much of a difference to use table caster or powdered
I have only done a couple of kits 2 with table sugar but not sure if I noticed a difference
Caster sugar is refined table sugar at twice the price.
Just go for ordinary table sugar....

You'd actually be far better off to not use sugar at all. You'll get a much better beer if you use malt extract instead.

Are you talking about 1 can kits.
If so I did them from the 8os up to about 4 years ago and always used table sugar. Some were terrible for `homebrew twang', others not nearly so bad. But one thing I found that greatly improved them was to brew short. ie. if the kit was for a 5 gallon brew, then make it up to 4 gallons and only use 500g of sugar. Doing that almost completely got rid of any homebrew twang.

Best thing I ever did was switching from kits to AG, but not everyone has the time for a 5 hour brewday.

You'd actually be far better off to not use sugar at all. You'll get a much better beer if you use malt extract instead.

Don't tell that to a Belgian Trappist Monk who happens to brew pricey world class ale! They commonly add 15-20% by grist weight of what is often merely plain old granulated beet sugar to their Trappist Ale's.

Don't tell that to a Belgian Trappist Monk who happens to brew pricey world class ale! They commonly add 15-20% by grist weight of what is often merely plain old granulated beet sugar to their Trappist Ale's.
well, yes thats true enough. I've brewed my share of Belgians in the past but using 15% candi sugar is a whole lot different to the outcome you can expect when brewing a comparitively low ABV beer with what would amount to around 40% sugar in a typical kit n kilo brew.

Back