Suggestions for a small extract based NEIPA?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyV8

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys
I have a bunch of bottles just begging to be filled - but i've only enough empties to accommodate a 10-12ltr brew.
Id love to try a fruity NEIPA - but i'm still only doing LME can brews so far. with some hops additions. Id be happy to try an extract + hopps experiment, I could probably even manage a mini-mash or steep I think (even though its only brew #3)

So does anyone have an easy NEIPA recipe I could try for a half batch they could share with me please? Something that can all be done in a single FV would be great - cause ive only got 1 :-)

All suggestions appreciated!
Alan

These are the closest I've come to neipa's

05/02/2018 - fake neipa - gold top - brew 38
1kg dme
2kg dwe
450g gs
wb06
15/02/2018
100g each of cascade, Amarillo & galaxy
1.009 at 19 - 6.3
use less dwe and more dme.

or

17/02/2020 brew 56 - no-gaarden - belgian wit - silver
100g tettnanger 10 min boil - 30 mins flameout
2.5 kg wheat malt extract
750g gs
2 litres orange juice asda from concentrate
mj belgian m21 wit yeast.
21.5 litres pitched at 23c
1.060-1.012 = 6.3%

again less dwe and more dme

The first gets the fruitiness from the hops the second from the orange juice 🙂

Thanks for that @dad_of_jon ....... that first recipe looks interesting.
- Guessing those quantities for a 23ltr brew? Can I simply half everything for 12ltrs?
- I'm assuming the GS is granulated sugar?
- How/When did you introduce those hops? al dry hopped after a few days or did you boil any of the DME with hops ?

- Guessing those quantities for a 23ltr brew? Can I simply half everything for 12ltrs?
- How/When did you introduce those hops? al dry hopped after a few days or did you boil any of the DME with hops ?
GS will be golden syrup I assume due to the weight stated for it.

21.5 litres - and GS is golden syrup - yes you half every thing apart from the boil times and maybe the yeast but if you sprinkle a full packet on top theres less of an overpitch because you lose some yeast with a sprinkling rather than re-hydrating. So if I was rehydrating yeast i'd half the amount, but if sprinkling i'd use the whole packet.

There is a whole debate about re-hydrating or not, generally for low gravity beers it's not a big deal.

Thanks again. I’m assuming it’s just a 60min boil?
And what about the hops additions? Did you add to the boil and when, or tea or just dry hop later?

sorry for all the questions- still new to all this.

Hi I boiled the cascade in around 4 litres of water for 10 mins then turned of the heat and let them stew/cool down for 30. then using a nylon hop bag stretched over the fv strained them with another 6 litres of water. no need to boil any extract. I use bottled water and kept the rest in the fridge. then there's enough water in the fv to stir the Dried extract in. Also I placed the golden syrup bottle in a pan of warm water to make it easier to pour in. Then I topped up to 21.5 liters (not added 21.5litres) the other hops were dry hopped for 5 days after the air lock stopped bubbling.

the bottled water in the fridge pretty much gets you to pitching temp of around 21c

@dad_of_jon ... as you have total 300g of hops in that recipe, just wondering how bitter this turned out? I know the NEIPA recipes call for a lot of hops but I’m just not a fan if they are too bitter.😊

@dad_of_jon , regarding yeast for the above Neipa. The only thing I have on hand is a 125ml bag of Wyeast London Ale III. Would a full bag of yeast be way too much for as I’m halving the recipe?

Back