Suggestions for next AG brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuart_A

Reaction score
Hi all

Would appreciate any suggestions or recipes for my next AG brew. I've been promised fathers day free to brew and plan to use it to make something for my dad's 60th at the start of August.

He's not really a fan of big hop flavours or 'fancy crafty' ipas etc. He likes a traditional amber or brown cask ale or something like purity's Ubu or a Hobgoblin.

Any suggestions? Was thinking maybe a Alesmith Evil Dead Red clone but that might be a little adventurous for him.

I am genuinely surprised by how tasty the Northern Brown Ale and Brown Porter recipes are from the Greg Hughes Book. Might be an idea?

Do you have any grains, hops or yeast on hand or are you purchasing everything just for the brew?

A brown or robust porter would probably go down a treat as mentioned above, or could pump out a nice cask ale? Irish red maybe? But yea, depends on if you're trying to use up ingredients you already have. If so, list what you have and I'm sure folk on here can throw some suggestions your way.

Do you have any grains, hops or yeast on hand or are you purchasing everything just for the brew?

A brown or robust porter would probably go down a treat as mentioned above, or could pump out a nice cask ale? Irish red maybe? But yea, depends on if you're trying to use up ingredients you already have. If so, list what you have and I'm sure folk on here can throw some suggestions your way.

I'll be ordering everything for this brew so no restrictions

My Steam Beer went down really well with my 63 year old parents. It's pretty simple to make, and malty rather than hoppy.

The brown ale have something in it. I have this before and hasn't look for any other.

My Dad, who also hates hoppy US pales, loves my First Gold Bitter, he says it has a lovely nutty flavour !

Recipe here: http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=56583

Looks like Purity Ubu includes some cascade hops, you could add some Cascade into the mix which would work well with the slightly orangey (not too much) First Gold flavour.

I have just made this again, its ready for bottling this weekend, a very nice session ale - would be difficult for any bitter drinker to dislike to be honest.

Good luck with it whatever you decide to brew.

Back