Suitable as a fermenter?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twisted

Reaction score
Hello again all,
I was recently given several 18.7L office water jug wassnames (see image)
butt.png

Are these suitable for fermenting in?

Thanks in advance.

I would say yes with the following reservations:
Narrow neck and shape means it will be a pig to clean out.
You need a suitable size bung & airlock
Thanks Jof.

I have a decent pipe brush that'll keep it clean and incase you're interested I've bodged an airlock together using a balloon, a synthetic cork and a 6 bubble airlock. Tested it earlier using fizzy water to see if it bubbled, it did indeed.

makeshift-airlock.png

Personally, I would use a blow-off bottle; as a fermenting brew may easily overcome the capacity of an airlock.

Enjoy.
:hat:
Good shout, hadn't thought about that.
As a noob that sort of common sense had eluded me 😆

Good shout, hadn't thought about that.
As a noob that sort of common sense had eluded me 😆
It depends on how much wort you put in the fermenter. If it's close to the top, then yes, a blow off will be needed. If you only full them 2/3 then you'll (probably) be fine with the airlock. I have a 30L fermenter and with 23L of wort in it I've never had problems with just an air lock

No airlock needed just cling wrap and a rubber band, agree with Nicks90 they would be a nightmare to clean those handles are hollow! Give them back and get something decent to ferment in. Why spend the best part of a day brewing then ferment in something that could easily let you down on the last leg.

Latest posts

Back