Sulphur dioxide tests

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyhibbett

Landlord.
Reaction score
Having had a number of infected batches of wine in recent times, I decided to get serious about sulphur dioxide. My tub of sodium metabisulphite had a bb date of 2012 so I ordered a refill so I can top up my casks with so2. However, I need to know how much to add. After a long search I finally came across Harris so2 test strips. Has anyone used these?

Just used one. They work well, even with red wine. I got a reading of 25ppm, where 40 is the recommended level for red wine, so I added 3 g of fresh sulphite to the 10 gallons.

I use sulphite solution to sterilise my equipment before using...religiously. I haven't had an infection yet, luckily. I only use campden tabs in the actual wine because I wouldn't know where to start with powder.

The powder is more convenient and economical for large quantities (in this case 10 gallons of wine), but you need scales which can accurately weigh small amounts.

Latest posts

Back