Sulphur smell from kegged beer help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elliott 22

Regular.
Reaction score
Hey everyone
Just kegged a mangrove jacks Nelson sauvin extract ipa kit yesterday. Fermented with mangrove jacks hophead and used Nelson sauvin and simcoe as a dry hop, smelt lovely when kegging and now force carbed over night at 50c and dropped back to normal serving pressure, my normal process.
But now smells eggy/sulphur like.
Was under pressure and spunding valve had slowed down dramatically in blow off tube.
Although finished at 1016, which was a little high but I did add multidextrin sg was 1054

My notes
Brew day 30/5/2022
Mj single hop Nelson sauvin
Made with muntons spray malt
500g light & 500g extra light
150g multidextrin
Pure brew
Swapped yeast for mangrove jacks hophead
Bottled water and made up to 21l
Sg 1054
8/6/22 - Fg 1016
5%

Dry hopped on 4/6/22
With 50g Nelson sauvin and 50g simcoe

Currently sat in fridge and was transferred under pressure to a oxygen free keg
Only 24hrs have passed
Any ideas what I can do?

Remove it from the refrigerator and leave it alone for a couple weeks. The sulfur will be reabsorbed by the yeast. Then chill and enjoy. Simple as that. The yeast is just adjusting to its new environment and needs a little time to itself.

I found that Mangrove Jacks M76 smelled horrific when I did an India Pale Lager with it a few months ago - clouds of eggy sulphur coming out of it, I could barely be in the same room as it. I was so convinced there was no way back for it, after just a few days in the fermenter I was set to tip the lot away

I got excellent advice on this forum though, which meant that I didn't chuck it and I'm very glad about that - it's one of the best beers I've ever brewed! I gave it plenty of time for the yeast to clean up after itself - I think it was in the fermenter for over 20 days in the end, with a decent warm spell at the end to get the yeast to finish off, at which point I crashed and kegged it.

Listen to the advice it is good, Lager yeasts can be the same too so heed the time it takes for fermentation as the best advice and let a further period for yeasts to clean up after themselves

Back