Summer Breeze

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just tasted my Summer Breeze Ale. It’s 3 days conditioned and already exciting me so I’ve made a rash decision to post the recipe.

If you try it you MUST like hoppy beer.

4.5Kg Vienna malt
250g Caramalt (EBC between 30 and 80)
125g Torrified wheat (for head retention)
Mash for 75 mins at 150F
500g sugar
Bring wort to the boil and add:
10g Citra pellets (60 min)
10g Galaxy pellets (60 min)
40g Citra pellets (15 min)
40g Galaxy pellets (15 min)
Protofloc tablet (15 min)
24 litres into FV at SG=1046
20g Liberty Bell yeast, fermented at 22C
Aroma hops added on day 3. These are dried hop flowers just thrown into FV as dry hops:
50g Citra flowers
50g Galaxy flowers
Siphoned into keg on day 9, SG = 1006

Beautiful summer(?) ale at 5.2%

I force carbonate in a King Keg with an 8g CO2 injection and the beer is ready 1-2 weeks later.

What about v3 then 🤷‍♂️😂

I should have known you’d be trouble.;)

Both versions 2.1 and 3.0 are in the fermenter so although I’m sure they will be good, they are unproven.

Version 2.0 is already proven and in my view at least is the best version so far.

V2.1 is a trivial change, I just reduced the bittering addition to bring down the IBUs as an experiment.

V3.0 is quite different and is nudging NEIPA territory.

If later versions are better I’ll try to remember to update this thread again!

I should have known you’d be trouble.;)

Both versions 2.1 and 3.0 are in the fermenter so although I’m sure they will be good, they are unproven.

Version 2.0 is already proven and in my view at least is the best version so far.

V2.1 is a trivial change, I just reduced the bittering addition to bring down the IBUs as an experiment.

V3.0 is quite different and is nudging NEIPA territory.

If later versions are better I’ll try to remember to update this thread again!

Received this morning, put in fridge drank a couple of hours later, wow really nice and enjoyed it immensely , very hoppy reminds of something brew dog brewery would churn out , so thank you for letting me try one mate , and will return the favour when I manage to get brewing, very busy with work and life in general at the moment but have got a lot of brews planned. Was impressed with the bottle you sent it in, I have only ever used glass and never tried the coopers ones , very neat and tidy, good labelling too, so cheers mate really appreciate it 🍻🍻👍

I really want to brew this. Where did you source your hop flowers, and if I can’t get a hold of some, would a solid Citra/Galaxy dry hop fulfill the brief instead?

You’ll struggle to get Galaxy in leaf form so you’ll see I use pellets in the recipe. Citra is available in leaf form pretty much everywhere. Most of my ingredients come from The Homebrew Company.

Edit: I’m assuming you’re brewing version 2? Link to recipe in post #4 above. Also, unless you like a lot of bitterness, reduce the bittering addition of Magnum to 10g.

Last edited:
Thanks for that, I’d been looking at the first post and hadn’t checked out the link in post 4. Version 2 looks spot on and I’ve got 2 empty kegs at the minute, looks like next weekend is taken care of :hat:

You’re welcome. It’s also worth noting the grain quantities are for an efficiency of 80% so you may need to make some adjustments if your efficiency is different.

I hope you like it!

Latest posts

Back