Summer Brew and Swap - British Golden Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alastair70

In need of constant supervision
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Afternoon all. The Saison swap proved to be very popular and the last couple of reviews are coming in, and its time to turn our attention to the next one. Just like last time, the style has shifted slightly to a more seasonally appropriate choice, British Golden Ale.

We'll aim to post on weekend of 21st August, and drink on or around weekend of 28th August.
If summer holidays interfere with brewing plans we can always push it back a week or two nearer the time.

Style guidelines are here
https://www.bjcp.org/style/2015/12/12A/british-golden-ale/
Happy brewing everyone.

I am in, what yeast would you use for a golden ale. I brewed one at the weekend and used Pia yeast. Is that within the guidelines for the style or should I used an English yeast

My Elderflower pale that I brewed on Friday fits the guidelines. I was planning on kegging and running through my hand pump so I’ll need to bottle some when I keg.

Same question as @NormanHurst - how many will I need to bottle condition?

Not sure about yeast choice. The challenge will be to brew an obviously British ale on drinking so I’ll be looking at different English ale yeasts and avoiding American hops, although they are permitted in the style guidelines.

I’ve been mulling this over today while doing other things. I thinking I’ll be looking at something along then lines of 50% pale malt, 40% pilsner, 10% torreified wheat. Magnum/Styrian Goldings to hop and ferment with Wy1318.
It has to say British from first sniff to last sip.

I'd love to get involved in this.
I do kits though, not into AG or extract yet, so as long as everyone is happy with that?

Back