Summer Lightning recipe clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I try to ferment at 17/18c at this time of the year and change my yeast types when it gets warmer

Some yeast can be fermented at a higher temperature than the standard yeast so if you are having problems let say once the weather starts to warm up it is difficult to keep most ordinary yeasts within a suitable temperature.
If you go too high a temperature with some yeasts in can create off flavours so change the yeast to one that can tolerate higher temperature, It may not be the perfect yeast to use but a good second best and no chance of off flavours.
there are many yeasts available than can tolerate higher temperatures nowadays just search the forum and read up as it is something you need to be aware of

I'm very new to this and staying low tech for now, so just a big pan and minimal gear. 2 successful AG brews so far, 2 more going to plan.

As a big fan of this ale, I am just putting together a custom grain list at geterbrewed (partly so I can order small quantity) but I am slightly puzzled about the caramel malt:
Daniele - Simpsons Crystal Light — Grain — 104 EBC
An Ankoù - Medium Crystal malt (ebc 135 or thereabouts)

Geterbrewed offers Crisp Light Crystal (EBC 145-165) which, if I have understood, means it's slightly darker. Does this really not matter, given the proportions involved?

I'm very new to this and staying low tech for now, so just a big pan and minimal gear. 2 successful AG brews so far, 2 more going to plan.

As a big fan of this ale, I am just putting together a custom grain list at geterbrewed (partly so I can order small quantity) but I am slightly puzzled about the caramel malt:
Daniele - Simpsons Crystal Light — Grain — 104 EBC
An Ankoù - Medium Crystal malt (ebc 135 or thereabouts)

Geterbrewed offers Crisp Light Crystal (EBC 145-165) which, if I have understood, means it's slightly darker. Does this really not matter, given the proportions involved?
I understand that you are probably not interested in the guidelines for this beer and don't go into comps.
The only reason it matters is in a comp it will get picked up as being too dark, my recipe has no crystal, just the base malt. If you are brewing for your own enjoyment do as you will, that is what brewing is all about.

I've been making this recipe for 10 years now and there's no crystal malt. I sometimes add some wheat but often not. I always bitter with Challenger and then EKG at last 15 minutes.
21 Litres
5000g Maris Otter
100g Torrefied wheat or Wheat malt
60 minutes mash at 65C
60 minutes boil
45g Challenger @ 60 minutes
25g EKG @ 15 minutes
Safale S04 at 18C
OG 1051

No way has SL got crystal of any form in it. Not a chance. If anything at 5.0% the high drinkability of the ale has been achieved by lightening the body with a percentage of sugar, like they do with the Belgian blondes.

According too Howarth's "The Home Brewers Recipe Data Base" 2nd edition. the malt bill was either: 98% Pipkin pale malt and 2% crustal malt, or 100% Maris Otter with Challenger for bittering and Goldings late hops. This comes from Protz' Real Ale Almanac. I remember growing up with Summer Lightning, and I think Hopback did a few tweaks before settling on their definitive version. I always used 10lb MO and 1/4 lb crystal with all Goldings in a 5 gallon batch.
The same source says the bottled version was all MO or Optic and all Goldings.
I don't think MO was always readily available in the late 80s.

Thanks all, that's helped me make up my mind to include a little of that crystal.

I understand that you are probably not interested in the guidelines for this beer and don't go into comps.
The only reason it matters is in a comp it will get picked up as being too dark, my recipe has no crystal, just the base malt. If you are brewing for your own enjoyment do as you will, that is what brewing is all about.

Good reminder!

My attempt last August was enjoyable enough, but I thought I'd update the thread with this recipe A Nod To Summer Lightning which adds EKG as dry hopping. I tried it once with 10% Carapils and again with 10% wheat (I'm still faffing around with the head), and I felt the Carapils version got very much closer to what I hoped.

Stick to Goldings throughout and don't be tempted to use Challenger for bittering would be my advice.

May I ask why you wouldn't use Challenger as bittering hop?

I've never tasted the real thing, I'm brewing a Burton Ale inspired beer this weekend, and wanted to use the leftover hops (Challenger and EKG) to make a light summer ale and stumbled upon Summer Lightning.

After reading a few places online, this is the recipe.
https://share.brewfather.app/xeE5X2hhyVdLdb
I was actually most unsure of the waterprofile, but think I've settled on the one in the recipe.

How would Challenger contribute vs EKG as bittering hop in a Summer Lightning clone.

Latest posts

Back