Summertime Wherry

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DizzyDazz

Reaction score
The brewing temperature for Woodfordes Wherry is given at 18-20C so I was just wondering will I be able to brew this when the temperatures start to rise?

Last edited:
Midges are only a problem May to September and then only if there's no breeze. Plus, I brew indoors!

The brewing temperature for Woodfordes Wherry is given at 18-20C so I was just wondering will I be able to brew this when the temperatures start to rise?
Yes, It will just get a bit fruitier thats all. If it gets really hot you can always substitute a Saison yeast for the kit yeast. The other solution is to plan ahead and brew ahead to get a stock in and then don't brew in the middle of summer. Or get yourself a brew fridge.

Yes, It will just get a bit fruitier thats all. If it gets really hot you can always substitute a Saison yeast for the kit yeast. The other solution is to plan ahead and brew ahead to get a stock in and then don't brew in the middle of summer. Or get yourself a brew fridge.

Fruitier sounds OK. Will give it a go when the weather warms up. Thanks

Fruitier sounds OK. Will give it a go when the weather warms up. Thanks
You could always use one of these to control your brewing temperature. They obviously work at lower room temperatures but do have some moderating effect when the temperature gets past 20*C. In really hot weather I have used ice cold water from the fridge to top up the bath, as well as draping wet towels over the FV.
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/how-to-set-up-a-water-bath-for-your-fv.66407/

Brew fridge. I've tried wet towels over the fv but constantly worried about it. Like said the other way is to build your stocks up when you can but depending on how much you drink you could need extra kit.

Back in the day I used to just have my FVs sat on the worktop in the kitchen, brewed year round without issue and most stuff was "drinkable". I'll admit that having brew fridges has improved the quality of the beer I've made as well as the fact that I can now have it all out in the garage / not cluttering up the house but if I didn't know any better I'd still be brewing and drinking all year at ambient.

Brew fridge. I've tried wet towels over the fv but constantly worried about it. Like said the other way is to build your stocks up when you can but depending on how much you drink you could need extra kit.
Brew the extra anyway. You can always increase consumption if stocks start getting worryingly high while the other option doesn't bear thinking about. Wet towels and a desktop fan blowing onto them works well, but you have to keep wetting the towels. If you're really having problems with the heat try changing your yeast to Saflager 34/70 it copes very well with higher temperatures and produces a light ester profile not seen when fermenting at lager temperatures. However, It also stinks of sulphur, but that doesn't harm the beer.

Thanks guys. Since I am brewing this for Mr DizzyDazz I'll let him decide whether fruiter is good or not. If not I might try a different yeast.

Back