Summit Hops ok for Dry Hopping?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Landlord.
Reaction score
I am still very much trying to find out about hops and which ones I enjoy and which I don't.
I am very much an extract brewer and only dry hop (for around a week) at the end of my brews.
I so far have enjoyed singly adding....Cascade UK...Cascade UK...Citra & Centennial to various brews.......
I have enjoyed all so far but found the Cascade US much more to my liking than the UK.......
I usually brew around 38 pints at a time and have so far only added 50g of hops.......
I can get a hop called Summit at a very reasonable price and was wondering is this a suitable hop to be used for IPA's?
Is it suitable to be used alone?
would the basic rule of thumb suggest I continue to just use 50g per batch or up it to 100g?
I must admit to enjoying a more intense hoppy beer and wonder how Summit would do?

I've not dry hopped with summit, but have used it along with simcoe and saphir in an amber ale that turned out pretty good.
I think it would go good in an intensely hopped IPA.

My Summit Pale Ale uses 15g of each Summit and Cascade as a dry hop. It certainly isn’t “intensely hoppy“ but then I doubt it would be using those quantities. However, it is, if I say so myself, a very nice beer.

I use Summit in one of my 'house beers'. But I use it as a bittering hop , and because of its high %AA not in large quantities about 20g per 20litres, with either Amarillo or Cascade as late hops which work well with it for me. Nonetheless the Summit seems to come through quite strong in flavour. So my advice if you intend to try it as a dry hop is to perhaps split the brew and use it sparingly in one half and more aggressively in the other to compare.

Yes it's a very good dry hop and will give more orange and piney hop character there. It is strong though as terry mentioned. If you get a little onion let it sit for a few weeks and it'll change to orange.

Although I haven't tried Summit as a dry hop I've used it both for bittering and flavour and found it to leave an oniony taste. Apparently some people are more able to detect this than others. Your mileage may vary depending on the year/batch. It's ok, don't get me wrong, but personally I'd use a more predictable hop.

Latest posts

Back