Sunday trading hours, should shops open for longer? [Poll]

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vote

• Let small shops open longer.

• Let them all open longer.

• Don't change the existing rules.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I am all for it as long as staff are not forced to do it and get double time if they agree.

Should shops open for longer?

The government is facing a possible defeat in a vote which could hand control of Sunday trading hours to councils, and result in longer shopping hours.

BBC News spoke to some shoppers on Oxford Street what they think about the proposals.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35764129

I remember when shops were closed on wednesday afternoons. Were bombarded with consumerism as it is. I say NO!

A lot of shops up north still are closed on Wednesdays, or at least half day.

I wanted to call into Leyland Homebrew tonight, drove up to the shop... Wednesday.... Shut.... Bugger.

I wanted to call into Leyland Homebrew tonight, drove up to the shop... Wednesday.... Shut.... Bugger.

They're open all the time in London, even on chistmas day as lots of Londoners aren't christians

Definitely no, I get forced to work Sunday and get no double time

I had a weekend job as a teen.taught me blah blah, and put cash in my pocket.

Saw some stat the other day, 40% of teens in the 90's had a weekend or part time job,compared to now which is 20 odd %

I vote stay open for as long as they have staff cover. Don't agree with forcing people to do it though.

Come on...I don't need to do that :cool:.

Yeah - but it is a problem for me! :)
Takes me 12hrs to get from Skye to Manchester to visit aged relatives (dogs need walking on the way :)) Not much room in the car for beer :-(
Also, when I get there, it's nice to see if there's anything new on the shelves.....
Plus, visiting aged in-laws (and worse) is not sustainable if you remain sober, I find.
The last thing I need is to roll up to the shop and it's shut :-?

Good point and this is true of our shops, I think that is why it says hand the decision to the Councils.

I'm in favour of smaller shops being able to open longer. It would encourage people onto their High Street a bit more. Also, working office hours it is very hard sometimes to get to a shop or bank without having to make an early dart from work. I can't always get/do everything I want online, so extended hours would suit me down to the ground.

I've worked over 30 years for businesses which supply supermarkets and it's these that mainly dictate when people work because of their demands for their customers. Ironically we are the the customers so it's ultimately our own fault that working all hours God sends is the norm for businesses. I work continental shifts so work weekends and nights, but this is reflected in my salary to start with. It also means I can go shopping/banking etc when a lot of people can't - which is a blessing because it's quieter and quicker.

I remember the days when shops were closed for Christmas - it's probably the only time I'd like to see a complete shutdown for a couple of days. What's wrong with people that they need to go food shopping on Christmas Day - a bit of forward thinking is required me thinks.

Rant over. :grin:

Overall opening more time is unlikely to mean we all spend more (except possibly initially), however the shops that can open longer will take a bigger share of the overall take. Staffing will be increased though, and therefore so will costs (unless wages per hour fall). Big companies who can manipulate their workforce more are likely to be the winners, at the expense of their workforce and at the expense of the smaller shops.
So I'd leave it alone. Or possibly legislate that large companies have to have enhanced pay for weekends/nights - the problem with that is that it would create a pressure to reduce daytime/weekday pay.

Latest posts

Back