Sunset Gold

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i plan to brew this tomorrow, it is a really simple brew
4.5kg pale ale malt
25g of target 60 mins 27 ibu's
42g us cascade 0 mins
42g bobek 0 mins
my question is has anybody used cascade and bobek together or am i experimenting

I think it will go well together Rod as the cascade is used in smaller amounts in the Hobgoblin clone recipes. I have done a couple or 3 of these and it does add a nice fruity rounding tstae to bitter style hops

I think it will go well together Rod as the cascade is used in smaller amounts in the Hobgoblin clone recipes. I have done a couple or 3 of these and it does add a nice fruity rounding tstae to bitter style hops
Thank you Baron, it's the bobek i am worried about i have only used it once and only 8gr hence the 42gr left from a 50 gr pack

I've used it loads of time its other name is Styrian Goldings a well known hop that runs alongside Fuggles and East Kent Goldings so it will be ok
Funnily enough I also use that in my Hobgoblin style ales with the Cascade athumb..

Just brewed one today and used 2 very high AA hops Zeus and Summit together.
I have never used Zeus before so I have whirlpooled to try and keep the AA's down as I do not like over bittered beer unless they are very well balanced

I've used it loads of time its other name is Styrian Goldings
...its other OTHER name is Celeia.

Not quite. Bobek and Celeia are distinct varieties, like Challenger and First Gold.

But imagine that Goldings, Challenger and First Gold were all sold, individually or blended together, as "English Goldings".

Well that's what's "Styrian Goldings" is, a generic name for different varieties derived from the original selection of Fuggles by Janez Hausenbichler which is now called Savinjski Golding. Originally the British found "Savinjski" too complicated and so referred to Savinjski Golding as "Styrian Golding". But as hopbreeding developed in what is now Slovenia and produced new varieties based on Savinjski such as Celeia, they started using "Styrian Golding" as a brand for the whole family, whether individually or in blends. And then it extended further to include varieties such as Bobek which don't have Savinjski as an immediate parent.

Then the EU clamped down on that kind of thing, so now the term "Styrian Goldings" is deprecated (within the EU at least) and they're now sold as individual varieties such as Savinjski, Bobek and Celeia.

Back