Super Fast Ferment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marky B

Reaction score
Hey fellas, I'm fairly new to the all grain world and so still finding my way a bit. I just brewed up a batch of House Pale using the Jon Finch recipe on Friday the 27th March. The grain yield was poor leaving a wort of 1032, so I added approx 350g of DME which i happened to have in the cupboard which boosted the gravity to 1054 which I was chuffed about having been disappointed by the original grain yield. I checked if on Sat 28th and it didn't appear to be very lively or bubbly through the airlock and I've checked it today, Sunday 29th March and again zero activity to speak off although there was a whiff of gas in the fermenting fridge (set to 19c using an inkbird switch jobby). The gravity reading today is 1020 so I reckon there must have been some level of fermentation and the beer sure tastes good. My question is therefore is that speed of fermentation likely or even possible ? Or is the general opinion I've brewed a dud batch ?? Any advice gratefully received. Best MarkyB

My advice would be leave it alone to do it's thing. Plastic fv's are well known for leaking co2 so therefore you won't see any activity. Let it do it's thing for 2 weeks and then take another reading

My advice would be leave it alone to do it's thing. Plastic fv's are well known for leaking co2 so therefore you won't see any activity. Let it do it's thing for 2 weeks and then take another reading
Brill thanks a lot !

You don't mention what size batch you have made, but unless it was small then it seems unlikely that 350g of dme would have added over 20 gravity points. Are you sure it was mixed in thoroughly when you took your OG?

You don't mention what size batch you have made, but unless it was small then it seems unlikely that 350g of dme would have added over 20 gravity points. Are you sure it was mixed in thoroughly when you took your OG?
Hi Chris thanks for the response it was actually 23litres of wort, hopelessly miscalculated by my to achieve a 19l post boil volume. I added the DME prior to the boil and the amount in the FV was actually 15 in the finish so I went with that. I did a full 23l mash and no sparge, my reckoning being that as I use a robobrew with a wart recirculater it seems intrinsically that a sparge shouldn't be necessary, unless the clever lads on here tell me otherwise ! The 1054 reading was the final measure I took of the finished 15l batch ....

Hi Chris thanks for the response it was actually 23litres of wort, hopelessly miscalculated by my to achieve a 19l post boil volume. I added the DME prior to the boil and the amount in the FV was actually 15 in the finish so I went with that. I did a full 23l mash and no sparge, my reckoning being that as I use a robobrew with a wart recirculater it seems intrinsically that a sparge shouldn't be necessary, unless the clever lads on here tell me otherwise ! The 1054 reading was the final measure I took of the finished 15l batch ....
Okay, so that makes more sense if the pre-boil gravity was 1.032 in 23L but the OG was taken from just 15L after boil off.

Latest posts

Back