Super major airlock.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
After a few years of good service my blow off tube has started to leak (no bubbles in the jar) so i bought a Youngs Super Major Airlock as i had read good reviews, the main problem for me with standard airlocks was not the wine leaving the FV through the airlock it was the drying out as the vigorous fermentation blew all the water out , the main body of the super airlock is huge compared to the Wilko handy airlocks i normally use, the body measures 8 cm x 4 cm and the diameter of the stem is also slightly larger so is a tight fit in the well worn grommet in my FV, it is a 3 part airlock and is silent in operation.

Wilko hand airlock (left)

1613908265175.png
1708537213922.png

Last edited:
Wilko handy airlock next to the the big boy. (picture #1)

The body of the Youngs Super airlock is 8 cm by 4 cm.

The Wilko airlock is 5 cm by 2.5 cm.

aaaaaaa.jpg

Attachments

• 1708537092486.png
    1708537092486.png
    150.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Im currently using Absolut vodka in my airlocks ‘cos a) its what was in my spirits cupboard b)I dont mind if I spill a little in my brew and c) after attending a 4 day wedding in Poland vodka is about the only alcohol I tend to avoid.

That looks like it’d take half a bottle Chippy!!!

After a few years of good service my blow off tube has started to leak (no bubbles in the jar) so i bought a Youngs Super Major Airlock as i had read good reviews, the main problem for me with standard airlocks was not the wine leaving the FV through the airlock it was the drying out as the vigorous fermentation blew all the water out , the main body of the super airlock is huge compared to the Wilko handy airlocks i normally use, the body measures 8 cm x 4 cm and the diameter of the stem is also slightly larger so is a tight fit in the well worn grommet in my FV, it is a 3 part airlock and is silent in operation.

Wilko hand airlock (left)

View attachment 41852

Skip to one minute -

that looks good! Drying out is my problem too as I use a humidifier over the winter to keep the house dry!

that looks good! Drying out is my problem too as I use a humidifier over the winter to keep the house dry!

I would be surprised if you dried this airlock out it takes a fair bit of water (or whatever you use) to get it to the line marked on it.

I've been using them for quite a while. Young's might of rebadged them, but they did not design them.

Apart from being big they are 3-piece, which is really quite handy. The central bit floats so the bubbles come out at about the same depth however full the lock is -- seems to prevent vigorous fermentations blasting out the airlock contents. Sort of seals (not perfectly) if the liquid gets low or is being sucked backwards.

Bit late, but I came across this piccie just now (only a month old):
1631805005813.png

It's blowing bubbles 'cos there's Starsan solution in the trap.

Note this is a 70L fermenter. I could only use the poky little traps at the end of fermentation (when fermentation didn't blast the lock contents out the top).

Guess I'm adding encouragement to use these traps?

Just checked that is the one i am using just now kit came with bubbler type i seen this online and bought one been great so far very quiet
Be careful how tight you hold it when pulling it out of the grommet for cleaning they are made from very brittle plastic and crack easily.

Just checked that is the one i am using just now kit came with bubbler type i seen this online and bought one been great so far very qui
Be careful how tight you hold it when pulling it out of the grommet for cleaning they are made from very brittle plastic and crack easily.

i am using it with rubber bung in a glass DJ it seems to be ok so far but thanks for the heads up

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back