Super market apple juice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I think it's pretty good Aldi apple juice 55p a litre champagne yeast. Tea ,sugar and yeast nutrient. Ferments out in a week and clears in another week and is very drinkable think I put 2.5k sugar in 20l which I think may have been to much came out 9.5% it doesn't taste like it though. Very dangerous 🤪

Just started a 5l DJ batch. Added a couple of liquidised apples (one Bramley, one Granny Smith), heated to kill wild yeasts, 500ml tea, no sugar. Cider yeast. 3litres juice so far, will top up when initial ferment is over and I strain or rack it off. Bubbling nicely.

Previously made some using wild yeast from a friend's cider. This wild yeast fermented very slowly, it got down below 1.000. I added some malic acid, not too keen on the taste after doing so, so I'm leaving it for a while to see if it improves.

Yes I think it's pretty good Aldi apple juice 55p a litre champagne yeast. Tea ,sugar and yeast nutrient. Ferments out in a week and clears in another week and is very drinkable think I put 2.5k sugar in 20l which I think may have been to much came out 9.5% it doesn't taste like it though. Very dangerous 🤪
9.5% you wouldn't see me for a week if I drunk that. 😴

Just started a 5l DJ batch. Added a couple of liquidised apples (one Bramley, one Granny Smith), heated to kill wild yeasts, 500ml tea, no sugar. Cider yeast. 3litres juice so far, will top up when initial ferment is over and I strain or rack it off. Bubbling nicely.

Previously made some using wild yeast from a friend's cider. This wild yeast fermented very slowly, it got down below 1.000. I added some malic acid, not too keen on the taste after doing so, so I'm leaving it for a while to see if it improves.

Apple juice is always a good choice for a cider so give it a go. Have you considered putting peeled/cored, small chopped apples in secondary for a week or so? There will be negligible sugar additions so the ABV won't raise a great deal but the depth of apple flavour and 'tang' brightens the flavour nicely. If that's your thing ;)
T

Apple juice is always a good choice for a cider so give it a go. Have you considered putting peeled/cored, small chopped apples in secondary for a week or so? There will be negligible sugar additions so the ABV won't raise a great deal but the depth of apple flavour and 'tang' brightens the flavour nicely. If that's your thing ;)
T
Thanks fro the tip, I am going to start fermenting apple juice in a week or 2 can I use any apples? And also when do I transfer to secondary. Cheers

For me the end of primary is when there is very little activity in the airlock or bubbles/fizz around the fluid level and a yeast sediment. I rack it off and transfer to another demijohn for secondary and just let it play out until the SG settlesand levels out. Once I rack it off I put a couple of apples as described in the top. Be mindful of headroom. After 7-10 days remove and let it ferment out.
I usually put any old apples in but I wonder if anyone else has a favourite?
T

I started a gallon of TC using a couple of apples with the bought apple juice and fermented on the fruit. It was tasting OK but it's just started fermenting again - weather warmed up? I would suggest Granny Smiths as they have some flavour and some tannin. I used the whole fruit bar pips, froze them then liquidised them and added some pectolase. It was clearing nicely until today.
PS I racked it first after about a week.

T
I did just that. Started with three gallons of plain juice and added 5.5 lbs apples when the gravity was 1.001 (O G 1.045).

Latest posts

Back