Superfast fements in this weather?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinotinto

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi guys. Been a while but I have been brewing constantly. On my 32nd 30 bottle kit now.

Just to run this past you all.

I have got a couple of Beaverdale 30 bottle kits on the go.
One was started on 8th July. I racked at 0.998 having missed the 1.010 mark by a mile. Have had no action for a couple of days so tested SG this morning and it is at 0.992 which is where all my Beaverdales seem to end up from a start point around 1.084.

Hell, this is quick. Obviously due to the current temperatures but are there any known down sides to such quick ferments? It tastes dry as it should so looking to progress with stabilising, degas then fining etc. Thought I would ask first though. Never had them done this quick.

( The other kit was started 13th July and is going like the clappers. 1.040 barely 2 days in )

Regards to all.

VT

you can get some fusels and esters from over warm ferments yes.
isn't 0.998 dryer than water?

I've just checked 2 of my brews which have usually finished fermenting by now and the gravity is high, there's not much action in the airlock. I put it down to the hot weather (liquid temp 29 deg) so I've left the airing cupboard door open to cool it down and see what happens next. Hopefully it hasn't killed the yeast off.

You really want consistent temperatures for fermentation, and most importantly, temperatures that are within the range stated on the packet/vial of yeast you're using.

isn't 0.998 dryer than water?
Yes it is. The gravity of alcohol is less than 1.000 and if you've got enough of it relative to the remaining sugars then your overall gravity can be less than 1.000. Not so sure about the taste though. I'd expect 'hot and dry'.

Just tested my rhubarb wine. F.G. 1.000. The last one I made was 0.985. I thought it would be sweet but it tastes O.K.
O.G. was 1.114 so A.B.V. = 14.96%. I'm happy with that :nod:

Tomato wine started 5.07.18 O.G. 1.200 (the highest one to date). Checked today, 1.020. According to my calculations that is 23.62%. Doesn't sound right to me so I will be having a little taste shortly. I'll let you know the results.

It tastes really sweet so I'm thinking of putting more yeast and nutrient in it.
Has anyone got any opinions on this ?

So I cannot find a yeast that will tolerate that amount of alcohol so I'm thinking of splitting it into two demijohns , adding water and yeast/nutrient and trying that .
Any feedback would be very much appreciated.
I realise that the flavour will be halved but better that than throwing it away and it's a lesson learned for next time

Last edited:
So what I did was split it into two demijohns added half a litre of grape juice and tomato juice into each one, added Youngs yeast and nutrient, topped up to the neck of the demijohn with water and put them onto the airing cupboard floor. They are now bubbling away happily so fingers crossed I will not have lost any flavour and all will be Hunky Dory.
I will let you know.

Well... They have both fermented out to 0.994 which gives an A.B.V of 27.04%. I have tasted them and I can definitely taste the tomato but 27% ????
I didn't add any extra sugar. Should I half that strength because I split it into two demijohns ?

Back