Supermarket in Poland buys farmer’s misshapen beetroots to tackle food waste

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our supermarkets have been doing this for a while.

1610728246751.png

We’re committed to supporting our farmers across the UK, and that means buying whole crops from them - including Wonky fruit & veg. So, at Morrisons, you’ll sometimes find Wonky carrots that are a bit crooked, Wonky parsnips that might be extra pointy and Wonky fruit that comes in different shapes and sizes. Browse our range and recipes below.

https://my.morrisons.com/wonky-fruit-veg/

I'm in full support of this...as an allotment keeper I usually have plenty of mostly wonky veg.
I was wondering though on the occasion I've seen the wonky veg in Asda,why they are charging the same price per kg? As I suspect they're getting it for bugger all...
Incidentally I have a few mutant beetroots on my allotment...

I was wondering though on the occasion I've seen the wonky veg in Asda,why they are charging the same price per kg? As I suspect they're getting it for bugger all...

I assumed it was cheaper Clint, if they get it for next to nothing it should be cheaper than the "straight" version.

At the end of the day veg is veg wonky or not, but it taste's the same but you can't package wonky stuff in plastic bags, so must be good for the enviroment to i agree if they are getting it for bugger all it should cost bugger all

The stuff I seen in Asda a while back was definitely the same price per kg..

They must be getting it cheaper than the straight stuff so the saving should be passed on to customers to encourage them to buy more of the wonky stuff.

They must be getting it cheaper than the straight stuff so the saving should be passed on to customers to encourage them to buy more of the wonky stuff.
Or just pay the farmer a fair price for perfectly good veg in the first place?

Or just pay the farmer a fair price for perfectly good veg in the first place?

If they are buying the wonky veg as well as the straight stuff the farmers are getting money they never used to its the shoppers who should be able to pay less for the wonky stuff or more for the straight stuff if they choose not the same price for both.

My Son works part time in Tesco and he is there tonight i have asked him to see if they sell the wonky veg and to compare the prices.

If they are buying the wonky veg as well as the straight stuff the farmers are getting money they never used to its the shoppers who should be able to pay less for the wonky stuff or more for the straight stuff if they choose not the same price for both.
To use your phraseology 'i couldn't disagree more' 😉. Supermarkets cut prices to the bone, and we end up paying for stuff that has been covered with chemicals so that the farmer can get a yield that results in a profit. At the same time food is incredibly cheap nowadays. Just pay the farmer a fair price.

My son has confirmed there is a price difference between wonky and normal at Tesco here is one example.
Carrots per Kg straight 41 pence, wonky 35 pence.

My son has confirmed there is a price difference between wonky and normal at Tesco here is one example.
Carrots per Kg straight 41 pence, wonky 35 pence.
Takes more time to straighten them out with those machines they got, hence the extra cost

I work in the food packing industry, why they never liked wonky veg was very simple, the older style of packaging machines did not work with wonky veg, its also harder to clean and comes with a higher damaged rate.

THE CUSTOMER DID NOT WANT IT.

All of it went into the commercial ingredients any way or pet food. There never was waste with open contracts and sales.

Wonky veg and bleating farmers and the like only really started when the supermarkets started dealing direct with a whole farm or a growers coop. Here the farmer would agree to supply so many tons of say carrots per week at a set certain size. Its easier to the buyer and seller if you quantify what you want in the first place. Supermarkets would specify the colour they wanted the carrots to be, the size shape and condition. The farmer gets a contract with a pre agreed price and volumes required. In theory its a good idea.

Where it goes wrong is that its impossible for anyone to grow perfect veg every day. So a lot can fall outside the specified size and shape. But since the farmer has a contract to sell all his veg to the supermarket, he is left with huge piles of wonky veg he cant sell or give away as its the property of say tescos.

The technology of the food packers has improved to the point they can now handle this veg.
ITS A CHEAP SALE WITH A HIGH PROFIT, after all its just waste veg thats already paid for out of the contract that the farmer cant sell. But you the supermarket can agree an out of contract specification waste value. Theres a higher profit line to Morrison's to wonky veg than standard carrots due to the purchase prices. Yes thats right, wonky veg is a great earner for super markets. After all if it did not make a profit they would not sell it.

If you look into the sale of whole sale commercial food ingredients items. you will find huge amounts of very very weird stuff available.

When I used to work in a town centre I’d buy my fruit and veg from the town market. Quality was out of this world compared to supermarket and it rarely cost any more (if it did you’d notice the quality difference).

These days I just can’t get to the market, although there’s a Mediterranean supermarket which does some decent stuff.

Back