Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks CT,
Are those first two the ones people don't make a second time or did Worzel make one from only OJ first.?

The original recipe for supermarket juice wine was posted by a member called Wurzel and was called Wurzels Orange Wine (AKA WOW) this was the orange winr the guy in the video made, he also made an apple wine i have never made apple only wine so cannot comment on how good/bad it is.

As colin says above white grape juice disappeared from the shelves a few years ago so we had to switch to red grape juice or use apple juice and something else, we frefer red grape juice based wines as we like Rosé wine but you can use whatever juice you like and experiment which is the great thing about this wine.

Have seen all the other recipes posted in this thread for juice wines from you and many others which i will deffo be trying so a big thanks for those but still not sure if it's worth doing one with only OJ and water.
Thanks

Glad i could help and keep us posted.

Give the Rosé wine recipe below a try it doesn't matter what brand juice you use as long as it is 100% juice it is a forum favourite, if you like it then try the orange, i would not do the orange first it may put you off for life
(it really wasn't very popular even back then)

Rosé wine

1 litre Red grape juice.

1.5 litre Apple Juice.

750g Sugar.

1 tsp Tannin or a mug of very strong black tea. (3 bags stirred every couple of minutes as you put the rest of the ingredients together)

1 tsp Yeast (i use youngs super wine yeast compound)

1 tsp Yeast Nutrient.

1 tsp Pectolase.

1 tsp Glycerine. (optional)

1 tsp citric acid or juice of one lemon. (optional)

IDShot_225x225.jpg
1637778299853.png

Ive not been around here too long but I get the impression the original WOW used White Grape Juice which you can't get anymore. People tried using Red Grape Juice but the general opinion was 💩😂

Now whether anyone has tried just Orange Juice, I'm not sure 🤔
Thanks Colin.
Might give it a go then... what's the worse that can happen....... it goes down the drain lol🤢🤢🤢🤮🤮

Hi All,

Novice Here, In the process of making my first batch of WOW and gathering supplies. Want to keep things simple and try the orange/grape and apple/grape juice recipe.

However, at my local Asda, there was no grape juice ( red or white ), But I managed to pick fresh grapes cheap - So I bought 6 punnets ( around 3 KG ), Will juice them. Just wonder, Can I use fresh grape juice as it is or do I need to follow another process?

Thanks
G

Unlike supermarket juice wines where we know the sugar content of the cartons you are not going to know how much sugar to add without using your hydrometer something I am glad I have never had to do. :D

Cheers, How do I make use of hydrometer in this instance ?
Also, Do I need to boil the juice first ?

Most wines will ferment down to .990 (very dry) so if you use that as your FG you can decide how much sugar to use to get the required %ABV by making the OG as high as you like.
Dont go mad as too much sugar will kill the yeast.

ffggg.jpg

Most wines will ferment down to .990 (very dry) so if you use that as your FG you can decide how much sugar to use to get the required %ABV by making the OG as high as you like.
Dont go mad as too much sugar will kill the yeast.

Ok, This is what I did , I heated the fresh grape juice to around 80c to kill any bacteria and then used the original recipe ( Orange ) as it is..! , Now my hydrometer is showing that I will get around 17% abv..! , Does that mean my yeast will not survive now ? , Or because we leave a bit of headroom and then top up with water at later stage , so eventual abv will be lower and I am fine ?

1l fresh grape juice
1l orange juice
800gm sugar

Now my hydrometer is showing that I will get around 17% abv..! , Does that mean my yeast will not survive now ?

Yeast should be fine (so long as your must isn't pure syrup)- you'll be left with varying amounts of sugar however (depending on strain of yeast used to ferment). As stated, what was the OG - you used nutrient too ?

Yeast should be fine (so long as your must isn't pure syrup)- you'll be left with varying amounts of sugar however (depending on strain of yeast used to ferment). As stated, what was the OG - you used nutrient too ?

@john_boy , Yes, I used nutrient., my OG is - 1.110

Around 275gms of sugar per liter

Last edited:
If you're using a general purpose wine yeast, that should get you to around 12-13% or so (ish), so there should be a bit of sweetness left.

Lidl have 1litre "not from concentrate" grape juice for 99p at the minute. The picture on the carton showed white and red grapes. I have neither bought or tried this yet. Do with this as you will.

Lidl have 1litre "not from concentrate" grape juice for 99p at the minute. The picture on the carton showed white and red grapes. I have neither bought or tried this yet. Do with this as you will.

I've got one of these on the go at the moment.
But I find it difficult to get hold of as it sells out quickly in our area.
Best go shopping early, as they restock overnight.

Hi all,

I'm kind of new to home brewing and have a question about making juice wine.

I've read that pectolase is needed to help certain wines to clear but it's not needed for wines made from juice.

I was watching this video on YouTube where the guy is using pineapple juice which obviously isn't clear. He's made no mention of using pectolase and there's been no follow up video showing the finished product.

My question is, will this wine, or any other wine made from a juice that isn't clear, need pectolase or will it clear on its own?

Sorry if this question has been posted before.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back