Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The reason we don't use 4.5 litres of juice is it will be like alcopop and we are trying to mimic wine, i use 1 x litre of grape juice and 1.5 litres of another and we find that spot on.

Wine yeast will ferment your wine down to .990 which is very dry i used to stop mine at around .995 which was sweet enough for us.

As for videos i wouldn't take too much notice of them there are a lot of people putting videos out who haven't a clue what they are doing have a look at the two in the first post in this thread and you wont go far wrong (apart from him trying to clear them naturally then giving up) switch the orange juice for something else it was on ofthe worst ones i ever made. Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

This was one i used to make all the time and its a forum favourite.
(never was a fan of pineapple)

Rosé wine

1 litre Red grape juice.

1.5 litre Apple Juice.

750g Sugar.

1 tsp Tannin or a mug of very strong black tea. (3 bags stirred every couple of minutes as you put the rest of the ingredients together)

1 tsp Yeast (i use youngs super wine yeast compound)

1 tsp Yeast Nutrient.

1 tsp Pectolase.

1 tsp Glycerine. (optional)

1 tsp citric acid or juice of one lemon. (optional)

IDShot_225x225.jpg
View attachment 44215

This is bubbling away nicely in the demijohn with lots of little bubbles rising up the sides. Just thinking about the next stage. Currently the demijohn is not full - is it expected with this recipe that you leave a gap or top it up with water?

Not being used to bottling wine (especially from juice - the last time I did something like that I was at school and no one worried about giving it time to mature!) how do you decide when it's finished? Is it as easy as waiting for the bubbling to stop (or at least slow right down) and drop in a Campden tablet and then bottle it?

You need a gap for when you degas so dont top up yet.

You need a hydrometer and trial jar (about £6 from Wilko) to check when its finished if you dont have one wait until you only see a single bubble every couple of minutes then it wont be far off.

When you rack to the next DJ for clearing rack onto a crushed campden table, degas then add stabiliser stir to mix it in then add fining now top up to the base of the neck and leave under airlock to clear.

If you have any questions dont hesitate to ask.

You need a gap for when you degas so dont top up yet.

You need a hydrometer and trial jar (about £6 from Wilko) to check when its finished if you dont have one wait until you only see a single bubble every couple of minutes then it wont be far off.

When you rack to the next DJ for clearing rack onto a crushed campden table, degas then add stabiliser stir to mix it in then add fining now top up to the base of the neck and leave under airlock to clear.

If you have any questions dont hesitate to ask.

It's been fermenting for two weeks, but it's still bubbling every 10 seconds so presumably I need to leave it a bit longer.

I don't have any finings (are they really needed or just optional for fruit juice wine?) but I do have campden tablets and wine stabiliser. Just to be clear is the process as follows please?

1) Crush campden tablet into clean demijohn
2) Syphon in the wine
3) Shake it up to degas
4) Add the stabiliser
5) Top up with water
(with steps 1 to 5 all taking place on the same day)
6) Leave to clear
7) If needed add sugar to sweeten (hopefully not necessary unless it tastes super dry)
8) Bottle

I would think about why you are adding a whole campden tablet to less than a gallon of wine to be honest.
Are you trying to stop fermentation?
If you are, a campden tablet won’t achieve that. Neither will Potassium sorbate. Although it will stop the remaining years from growing.
Try it dry, ferment it right out, that way there will be no fermentables left and no real need for Potassium Met.

I would think about why you are adding a whole campden tablet to less than a gallon of wine to be honest.
Are you trying

The original recipe called for racking onto a crushed Campden tablet to preserve the wine not stop fermentation that is why stabiliser us mentioned in his earlier post, a DJ filled to the bottom of the neck is a gallon and older DJ are often more.

Hi guys, I have in a 10 litre container
4.5 ltrs of AJ
2 ltrs of RGJ pressed
1 litre of bottled water
517g sugar
610g from the juice
2 tsp pectolase
2 tsp yeast nutrient
2 tsp bentonite
2 tsp tannin
Juice of two lemons
2 tsp of youngs super yeast
OG 1090 its now finished fermentation and ready for top up, thing is there's alot of headspace and so what do you recommend I top up with? More AJ, or more RGJ or more water?
Any information will be gratefully
received... Don

Hi guys, I have in a 10 litre container
4.5 ltrs of AJ
2 ltrs of RGJ pressed
1 litre of bottled water
517g sugar
610g from the juice
2 tsp pectolase
2 tsp yeast nutrient
2 tsp bentonite
2 tsp tannin
Juice of two lemons
2 tsp of youngs super yeast
OG 1090 its now finished fermentation and ready for top up, thing is there's alot of headspace and so what do you recommend I top up with? More AJ, or more RGJ or more water?
Any information will be gratefully
received... Don

I'm no expert at this, but might it be a good idea to transfer from the big fermentation container to demijohns now?

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I could do that and transfer into 2 demijohns. But I have two 10 litre jars that I ferment in and was going to rack into the spare glass 10 litre jar and was wondering what I should top up with. If you're saying it would be better to rack to 2 djs, I will do that...

Tried a glass of that summer fruits wine last night and not impressed.
Consistency is thick like port and tastes almost cough syrupy.
:(
Not sure whether to keep the other 5 bottles until next winter to see if there's an improvement or bin it.

Probably the former.
please, the former.

Revisiting it today.
I'd put a bottle in the fridge to chill yesterday.
Not too bad ;)

Time sorts a lot out.!!!
You may even get a sediment deposit in the bottles,I did with my cherry wine.

This cough mixture flavour is normally a sign of lack of acid,Did you add some acid????

If you did not, Its to late now,It has to be added at the start of fermentation

Time sorts a lot out.!!!
You may even get a sediment deposit in the bottles,I did with my cherry wine.

This cough mixture flavour is normally a sign of lack of acid,Did you add some acid????

If you did not, Its to late now,It has to be added at the start of fermentation

It was made using a summer fruits drink rather than a juice.
It had additives but not as bad as to kill the yeast.

I've had a Eureka moment tonight.
I make my wine and don't back sweeten. My thought was if too dry then add sugar to taste per glass.
Just trying an apple cider tonight from supermarket apple juice and comparing to lowicz juice flavour ones and I added a shot of raspberry lowicz to a glass.

It is far better than brewing with the lowicz imo and can be tweaked for flavour.
I will be brewing wow cider with no sugar from now on and adding flavour after 👍

Good idea.
Adding flavour and sugar at the point of serve neatly sidesteps a lot of problems.

The only downside I can think of is the shelf life once opened, although I used an opened bottle of lowicz from a few months back and it seemed fine 😳🤔😁

After four weeks my red grape and apple juice seemed to have finally stopped fermenting so I have racked it off into another demijohn with campden tablet, stabiliser and plenty of shaking.

Had a little taste and what it immediately called to mind is the carafes of cheap local red wine that you get in tavernas when holidaying in Greece. Now put in a cupboard for a few weeks to see if it will clear. Maybe I should think about knocking up a stifado to go with it...

it immediately called to mind is the carafes of cheap local red wine that you get in tavernas when holidaying in Greece.

Its not supposed to mimic red wine its meant to mimic a Rosé wine which i think it does well at just over £1 per bottle ;)

Rosé wine

1 litre Red grape juice.

1.5 litre Apple Juice.

750g Sugar.

1 tsp Tannin or a mug of very strong black tea. (3 bags stirred every couple of minutes as you put the rest of the ingredients together)

1 tsp Yeast Nutrient.

1 tsp Pectolase.

IDShot_225x225.jpg
5051413484562_280_IDShot_3.jpeg

Its not supposed to mimic red wine its meant to mimic a Rosé wine which i think it does well at just over £1 per bottle ;)

Rosé wine

1 litre Red grape juice.

1.5 litre Apple Juice.

750g Sugar.

1 tsp Yeast Nutrient.

1 tsp Pectolase.

IDShot_225x225.jpg
5051413484562_280_IDShot_3.jpeg

Do you mean just over 50p a bottle ?

Do you mean just over 50p a bottle ?

Yes, red grape juice used to be around £1:50 litre and probably £1:50 for 1.5 litres of Princes apple juice a kg of sugar 60p then the yeast, nutrient etc so yes over £1 is too much.

Back