Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wilkos finings haven't failed with my supermarket juice wine so far. I've generally tried to make two double batches (4gal) to use all the finings in one go. I know it's more than the instructions. I use the empty 5l plastic water bottles from ashbeck water used for a pale ale to make the supermarket wine.

1 Demijohn will give you 6 x 750 ml bottles.

If you use a 23 litre fermenting vessel simply multiply the recipe below by 5 and you will get just under 30 bottles.

Rosé wine

1 litre Red grape juice.

1.5 litre Apple Juice.

750g Sugar.

1 tsp Tannin or a mug of very strong black tea. (3 bags stirred every couple of minutes as you put the rest of the ingredients together)

1 tsp Yeast (i use youngs super wine yeast compound)

1 tsp Yeast Nutrient.

1 tsp Pectolase.

1 tsp Glycerine. (optional)

1 tsp citric acid or juice of one lemon. (optional)

IDShot_225x225.jpg
5051413484562_280_IDShot_3.jpeg
I have an orange and mango wow in primary (first attempt at one of these wines) and this will be my next one I think. Thanks for the recipe 😊

I would use a third of the pack.
You should be able to use it again in future I would seal the pack as best you can give it a try I cannot see any harm in storing it.
I use Kwik clear or Young's clear it they are the fastest I have used.

I have an orange and mango wow in primary (first attempt at one of these wines) and this will be my next one I think. Thanks for the recipe 😊

Orange and mango - sounds quite chunky! Did you use juice with bits in it?

I would use a third of the pack.
You should be able to use it again in future I would seal the pack as best you can give it a try I cannot see any harm in storing it.
I use Kwik clear or Young's clear it they are the fastest I have used.

I will do that and will try to find a small container. I've got plenty of water bottles, but I suppose the issue is whether it will oxidise if left in one?

Nearly two weeks since racking it off my red grape and apple juice wine isn't showing much inclination to clear. I've picked up some finings from Wilko which are described as being sufficient for 23 litres, which presents two questions:

1) As I only have 4.5 Litres of wine can you use too much of the finings, or does it not matter if you dump the lot in?

2) Is it possible to save some for a future batch, or (as the content seems to be liquid) once the pack is opened do they need to be used straight away?

From memory too much finings can be worse.
Is it a pouch rather than a resealable container ?
You don't have to use finings, just leave it longer.

Just looked in my brewing cupboard to see what wine finings I have that I would of used in supermarket wine.
I don't have any so none 👍😁

Too late! Already added them now. Tried to use about a third of the contents, although quite tricky to see how much of a clear liquid you are pouring from soft plastic pouches, especially as they are joined together.

We will see what tomorrow brings. Hopefully including some clear wine...

Oops i thought it was dry finings.

Although perhaps not crystal clear, the red grape and apple juice wine is now much clearer than it was yesterday. I'll give it a few more hours and then probably bottle it this evening. I believe this wine is supposed to be drunk quite young. Considering that it had 4 weeks fermenting in the first demijohn and now another 2 weeks clearing after being racked into a second demijohn, will it then be ready to drink or do I need to do anything else aside from syphoning it into bottles?

If you have done all the steps in video 2 in post 1 you will be ready to bottle, the longer you leave it the clearer it will get.

Hey everyone, thanks so much for putting such an extensive lists of recipes together, I’m quite new to home brewing, especially for wine.

I’ve seen a lot of mention of ‘moleys first wow guide’ or titled somthing similar, but I can only find mentions of it in different threads on here and any links to the original guide are broken, I’ve done some extensive googling and even the links to where it’s been shared on other forums it seems to be broken, managed to find the pictures from the original post on google but alas once I followed them they dont come up with the guide. From what I’ve read it was a fairly detailed and comprehensive guide, and being a bit slow on the up take up I’d love to give it a read, does anyone have a working link to it, or wouldn’t mind posting it on here?

thanks very much.
Curly

Wurzels Orange Wine was the title of the original wine guide posted approximately 10 years ago, orange wine was for most not something they wanted to try twice but the good thing was the WOW guide got people into making their own wine and this supermarket juice wine guide was born.

Post 1 in this thread covers everything you need to know and the two guide videos show the ingredients and method, i don't remember anything in the WOW guide that isn't covered in post one here, if you have any questions feel free to ask many members have made many gallons of supermarket juice wine and i am sure they will be glad to help.

Last edited:
Wurzels Orange Wine was the title of the original wine guide posted approximately 10 years ago, orange wine was for most not something they wanted to try twice but the good thing was the WOW guide got people into making their own wine and this supermarket juice wine guide was born.

Post 1 in this thread covers everything you need to know and the two guide videos show the ingredients and method, i don't remember anything in the WOW guide that isn't covered in post one here, if you have any questions feel free to ask many members have made many gallons of supermarket juice wine and i am sure they will be glad to help.

thanks so much for your reply chippy, I believe I found the original wow recipe on a different forum, it was posted by a user called Wurzle so I’m assuming it was the first haha, I was just looking for the ‘moleys First wow guide’ thread as I was left with some questions after reading the original and your excellent post and watching the videos. my confusion is definitely from lack of experience and I was just hoping to educate myself some more without asking what are probably stupid questions and bothering anyone... but if you or another member would be willing to educate me some then that would be great.

firstly I hate oranges And saw you mentioned most people don’t make it again so I was going to start with the recipe you first mentioned with rgj and apple juice. The first video is super easy to follow and have done I guess what you’d call primary fermentation before, my questions start after racking I suppose. So after I’ve mixed the juices, water sugar solution, tea, pectin, nutrient and yeast in a DJ, leaving plenty of head room for fermentation, I’m waiting around a week or two for it to ferment dry yes?

after it’s fermented dry I rack to another DJ, at this point there will be a lot of head room in the second DJ, from not filling the first DJ All the way and the lees. As I understand it lots of head room in the second DJ is bad so I top it up with more grape juice? Now this is where I’m confused, obviously adding more grape juice will add more sugar, do I wait for this to ferment dry again before doing anything else? or as soon as I rack and top it up do I de gas, add my campden tablet and potassium sorbate to stop fermentation. How long after adding campden tablet and potassium sorbate do I wait to add the finings? After clearing I can bottle? No 3rd racking or anything?

now lastly, although I’m sure most of this is personal preference, back sweetening. Assuming I stop fermentation straight away after racking to second demijohn, does the grape juice I add to top it up count as back-sweetening as the sugars in it won’t be eaten by the yeast, or do I need to add more grape juice when bottling.

again im certain this is full of questions With very obvious answers, I would try and educate myself just by reading but I can’t seem to find the information I need and I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed!
Thanks again for your reply, really appreciated.

Too late! Already added them now. Tried to use about a third of the contents, although quite tricky to see how much of a clear liquid you are pouring from soft plastic pouches, especially as they are joined together.

We will see what tomorrow brings. Hopefully including some clear wine...
Use a Calpol syringe.

after it’s fermented dry I rack to another DJ, at this point there will be a lot of head room in the second DJ, from not filling the first DJ All the way and the lees. As I understand it lots of head room in the second DJ is bad so I top it up with more grape juice? Now this is where I’m confused, obviously adding more grape juice will add more sugar, do I wait for this to ferment dry again before doing anything else? or as soon as I rack and top it up do I de gas, add my campden tablet and potassium sorbate to stop fermentation. How long after adding campden tablet and potassium sorbate do I wait to add the finings? After clearing I can bottle? No 3rd racking or anything?

You can top the first DJ up to the neck when fermentation has died down a bit (day 5) using cooled boiled water (i just used tap water an never had a problem) then when you rack to the second DJ for clearing there wont be much head space but enough for degassing, i used to top up again with water but did try juice at one stage, i started having problems with fermentation starting again all be it slowly even though i used stabiliser (formation stopper) so i gave up and went back to topping up with water.

now lastly, although I’m sure most of this is personal preference, back sweetening. Assuming I stop fermentation straight away after racking to second demijohn, does the grape juice I add to top it up count as back-sweetening as the sugars in it won’t be eaten by the yeast, or do I need to add more grape juice when bottling.

Again i have tried back sweetening and the best method i found was adding a little sugar before drinking (half teaspoon to 750ml bottle) and shaking the hell out of it, it worked better than trying to add juice as above and no risk of bottle bombs, i eventually got used to stopping fermentation at .995 which was sweet enough for us.

again im certain this is full of questions With very obvious answers, I would try and educate myself just by reading but I can’t seem to find the information I need and I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed!
Thanks again for your reply, really appreciated.

Ask away that's what the forum is for thumb.

Back