Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, red grape juice used to be around £1:50 litre and probably £1:50 for 1.5 litres of Princes apple juice a kg of sugar 60p then the yeast, nutrient etc so yes over £1 is too much.

Hi chippy.
I recently bought 3 x 1.5 ltr cartons of apple juice to make some Cider but I've realised I'm not that fussed on cider and prefer wine lol 🤣
(There's a lot of brown bottles I've collected and may not need now 🙄)
Anyway, just checking the price of Asda red grape juice and it seems it's gone up from by 5p to £1.25.
Just gave the mrs a pocketful of change to get 3 bottles whilst she's there.
She wasn't amused, even less when she finds out she's 20p short now 🤣

I'll get 3 Demi John's on the go now and leave it a good while when done as it seems to need longer to mature than the kits.
But it's a decent backup at least if you're running low or run out completely 👍

i sometime make a wine kit, but don't use the finings. So i have a couple of pouches of 2 part A/B finings if anyone wants them, drop me a DM and i'll put them in a jiffy bag to you.

What's the general consensus on how much water to add to these WOWs ? Is it generally in the vicinity of always a ltr or so, according to taste ?

I've bottled two of them now - a mixed tropical fruit effort and apple juice + 1 ltr of water. Tastes fine, maybe just a touch too much water, I don't know - need to age a bit more.
Second pure apple juice, just bottled now - bit hot, slightly too much sugar methinks, but it'll age out. There's just a touch of a syrupy after taste (gravity just under 1 and sticking). I think this might benefit from an addition of water next time.

Thinking of trying 1/2 ltr next time. Both are perfectly drinkable BTW. In fact I have another problem. I'm running out of bottles :)

It depends on how strong the juices you use are, i always used 2.5 litres of juice and made it up to 4.5 litres with water but i always used 100% juice so it didn't taste watery, like anything else its personal taste if you think the ones you make are a bit thin add more juice ;)

You could go 100% juice but it would be more like alcopop than wine.

I think that's the vague syrupy taste/sensation with the 100% apple that I'm picking up. Odd, considering it's dry

What's the general consensus on how much water to add to these WOWs ? Is it generally in the vicinity of always a ltr or so, according to taste ?

I've bottled two of them now - a mixed tropical fruit effort and apple juice + 1 ltr of water. Tastes fine, maybe just a touch too much water, I don't know - need to age a bit more.
Second pure apple juice, just bottled now - bit hot, slightly too much sugar methinks, but it'll age out. There's just a touch of a syrupy after taste (gravity just under 1 and sticking). I think this might benefit from an addition of water next time.

Thinking of trying 1/2 ltr next time. Both are perfectly drinkable BTW. In fact I have another problem. I'm running out of bottles :)
Hi John Boy, As I am new to wine making what are Wow's ? Cheers

Any type of wine made using supermarket fruit juice, or a juice blend that doesn't have preservatives. Page 1 of the thread will give details.

I have just bottled my first ever Pomegranate wine and i can honestly say its the best i have made, really pleasant and really strong flavours, i might just try a 5 gallon version. :cheers:
Where do you get your Pomegranate juice from?

Well, have been conducting some (hic) experiments with both brews and I think the one with the addition of water is better, for my tastes at least.

I'm curious to see how these age out, anybody got any experiences ?

ASDA have the juice below, pomegranate is quite strong so you might get away with two of these a litre of red grape juice and one of apple.

Ingredients

Water, Fruit Juices from Concentrate 28% (Pomegranate 23%, Aronia 5%), Sugar, Acid (Malic Acid), Flavourings, Vitamin C, Sweeteners (Sucralose, Acesulfame K), Acidity Regulator (Trisodium Citrate)

https://groceries.asda.com/product/drinks/rubicon-pomegranate-juice-drink/29198842
1623953887857.png

Hi chippy.
I recently bought 3 x 1.5 ltr cartons of apple juice to make some Cider but I've realised I'm not that fussed on cider and prefer wine lol 🤣
(There's a lot of brown bottles I've collected and may not need now 🙄)
Anyway, just checking the price of Asda red grape juice and it seems it's gone up from by 5p to £1.25.
Just gave the mrs a pocketful of change to get 3 bottles whilst she's there.
She wasn't amused, even less when she finds out she's 20p short now 🤣

I'll get 3 Demi John's on the go now and leave it a good while when done as it seems to need longer to mature than the kits.
But it's a decent backup at least if you're running low or run out completely 👍

I got these three on the go on 23rd may and just racked them tonight.
Interestingly i used all the same ingredients bar wine yeasts.
The crossmyloof universal turned out pink compared to the crossmyloof red and wilko universal yeasts.

Not visited the group for a couple of years but thought I would tell you Im drinking some wine I made 5 yrs ago. My favourite I’ve tried has been pineapple. It is crystal clear and very nice. Time to pull out my 23 litre drum again..

Was that made from just pineapple juice or a mix with apple juice?

What's the experienced view on how long to age these fruit juice wines please? I've recently bottled some apple juice wine and wondering whether it should be drunk young (as seems to be suggested for turbo cider) or whether to leave it longer (some recipes seem to suggest leaving apple wine for a year).

I've seen three months recommended, don't know myself, currently working through a few bottles (apple and also some mixed peach/tropical fruit combo). The later is quite nice planning on leaving a bottle for Christmas (racked start of this month) for testing purposes. I don't think (and again, could be wrong) that these wines would stand a year or two.

Latest posts

Back