Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello there, i have been shaking the demi john after the fermentation has finished a good few times a day to release the CO2, not shook it after adding the finings only let it do its stuff.
The only thing i have done is after adding the finings over a week ago was to re rack the wine again and add more finings to help it clear?
It’s a mystery - possibly pectin haze as chippy suggested. Just a thought - did you top up with juice or water after campden and stabilising at the first racking? I have once topped up with apple juice and had problem clearing as it kept slowly fermenting again - but eventually got there and cleared- took another week and a bit for yeasties to finish the added juice.
Was there any signs of clearing? Did you see any separation/layers in the wine?

Thanks Chippy, yes i did add the pectolase at the start. i will give it a good few more days to see how its going, if it remains the same then i'd be happy to try it.
Thanks again for all the advice.

It’s a mystery - possibly pectin haze as chippy suggested. Just a thought - did you top up with juice or water after campden and stabilising at the first racking? I have once topped up with apple juice and had problem clearing as it kept slowly fermenting again - but eventually got there and cleared- took another week and a bit for yeasties to finish the added juice.
Was there any signs of clearing? Did you see any separation/layers in the wine?
I topped the wine up with water during/after the racking process, after each time i racked the wine however there was still 'sludge' at the bottom. I have racked the wine 3 times now and added finings twice, so i am now going to wait to see how it performs in the clearing process.
Thanks for the advice

I carbonate mine into 500ml bottles or 1ltr pet plastic soda water bottles or similar, 1tsp sugar per 500ml.
Can not believe how quickly this one fermented. Probably because of the weather... it was done in 4-5 days. Bottled it now with some extra sweetener and sugar to carbonate. Thank you. Having a small glass left over now (I think it’s sweet enough as is, but hubby likes really sweet things - so doing this for him) thank you- really good recipe and made it into my little recipe book :)

Just bottled my forum rose'
Quite rough and acidic, hopefully it'll mellow in the bottle.
I racked it a couple of weeks ago, it was quite fruity back then. Time will tell...

Just bottled my forum rose'
Quite rough and acidic, hopefully it'll mellow in the bottle.
I racked it a couple of weeks ago, it was quite fruity back then. Time will tell...
Just had a bottle of this two months after bottling. It mellowed and does not taste as dry and does not taste so much alcoholic as it did to start with :) - done few wows and even though they are quite quick drinkers they do benefit from couple of months conditioning :)

Hello.

I racked my first WOW a few days ago. I just did 6 litres. I've just a couple of questions:
  1. How long should the finings take? I realise this is probably a 'how long is a piece of string' question, but it's in my plastic FV/bottling bucket, so difficult to see the clarity. Is there a rough time? I used the two part Wilko one.
  2. It's pretty dry, finished at 0.988. I like dry wines, but if I did want to sweeten a bit, if I use sweetener, again, is there a rough guideline to how much per bottle? Keeping it dry, but maybe not quite so.
Thanks.

Last edited:
I have used the wilkos finings a few times and it usually only takes a couple of days. But does vary on pulp content. The wilkos sachet is for 23l but I've seen a few people use the full sachet for a demijohn before with no reported issues.
Sweetness is a personal preference and can vary from batch to batch depending on fermentation conditions. The most popular technique is to pour a measured amount and repeatedly add a small amount of sweetner and taste until u get to your preference and multiple to the quantity you have.

Last edited:
Your household must love dry wines! Was it obviously dry or did the flavours mask the dryness? I like my wines a little sweeter, so might try backsweetening if it is too dry for me. I'll see where it finishes with the D47.

Keep us updated on how the Cherry Lowicz turns out. I'll update on my Raspberry version too.......and oops, just remembered that I used the Raspberry and Lemon Lowicz rather than the Raspberry and Lime version that you used.
Well, update on the raspberry and lemon lowicz wine. Bland. Tastes refreshing and fruity but very 'thin' with no real body... just something missing. I don't know how else to describe it. Any ideas?

It started at a density of 1.095 and finished at 0.996.

just something missing. I don't know how else to describe it. Any ideas?

I haven't checked but if you didn't use at least one litre of grape juice this will be the reason.

When the WOW (Wurzels Orange Wine - Supermarket juice) thread first started 7 years or so ago 100% white grape juice was readily available so most members used to make white wine with at least 1 litre of white grape juice and 1 litre of apple juice (we used 1.5 litre of apple juice) and this made a good white wine, when white grape juice became scarce i switched to red grape juice with 1.5 litres of apple juice to make a rose style wine if you don't use 100% grape juice you will end up with alcopop which is fine if you expect that but not if you are trying to mimic wine.

Has anyone found an alternative to Youngs Super Wine Yeast Compound. I used to buy this at a local health food shop but not they are not stocking it due to the large quantities they have to order at a time. It used to cost around £2.99 for a 60gm tub which lasted for a couple of 5gal batches of supermarket juice wine. It's a very good yeast that usually kicks off very well. The nearest homebrew shop is miles away. I notice Wilko does a similar priced Express Wine Yeast Compound. Has anyone tried it and is it any good compared to Youngs?

Wilkos is your friend!
Screenshot_2020-09-26-14-56-18-536_com.mi.globalbrowser.jpg

I don't think it really matters which wine yeast you use i only used Youngss super wine yeast compound because i could get it in my local health food shop that has a small home brew section, if you are using something else i would add a teaspoon yeast nutrient to give the yeast a boost.

I dont think you will get it there anymore Chippy. I live in the same town as you and was referring to Appleseeds. My son called in for me yesterday and to quote hin "their supplier insist on huge amounts so they don't get it any more". Which is a shame. JUst popped over to Wilko and got a carton of their equivalent yeast compound so will be doing a test gallon to see how it works. BTW, ASDA has plenty of red grape juice at the moment.

Has anyone found an alternative to Youngs Super Wine Yeast Compound. I used to buy this at a local health food shop but not they are not stocking it due to the large quantities they have to order at a time. It used to cost around £2.99 for a 60gm tub which lasted for a couple of 5gal batches of supermarket juice wine. It's a very good yeast that usually kicks off very well. The nearest homebrew shop is miles away. I notice Wilko does a similar priced Express Wine Yeast Compound. Has anyone tried it and is it any good compared to Youngs?
You can still get it from ebay/amazon ect. But its about £6 to £7 🥶

As the temperature here is dropping fairly rapidly i decided to dust off the heat pad and rehydrate the yeast (something i often do to get it off to a good start) the results a non stop stream of bubbles through the airlock less than 24 after starting it, if you have never rehydrated yeast give it a go its easy to do and makes a huge difference.

Last edited:
Why are WOW recipes usually based on 1/2 supermarket juice and half water rather then full juice+added sugars? sainsbury grape juice (from conc) is currently the cheapest?

Latest posts

Back