Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Call me boring, but I've gone back to basics. No more "guava, star fruit and lychee" wine for me, too many disasters. Pure, ordinary, wines from apples and oranges, (maybe grapefruit.)

Risking it I know, but is there any white grape juice going anywhere?
I made lovely white using either pears in grape juice or peach halves in grape juice (tinned) - easier to get hold of :) Lidl do big tins of peach halves in grape juice.

I've just set my first ever WOW brewing. I used orange juice and pineapple juice. Fingers crossed it works. I've only ever made kits up to now so I am quite excited to see how it works out. I've got a few combinations I would like to try so we shall see how it goes. I think the issue is going to be space and having enough DJs!

I've just set my first ever WOW brewing. I used orange juice and pineapple juice. Fingers crossed it works. I've only ever made kits up to now so I am quite excited to see how it works out. I've got a few combinations I would like to try so we shall see how it goes. I think the issue is going to be space and having enough DJs!
Welcome to the forum.
Watch out for anything with pineapple juice in it as it's know for starting off like a rocket and coming out of the airlock. Make sure you stand the DJ on a tray or something.

It's on a tray and has an old sheet underneath the tray so I hope it will be ok. I also didnt fill the DJ to the top. I've just set three more variants going now! This is exciting!

Made 23 litres with:
10 litre Asda RGJ
5 litre princess Apple juice.
Didn’t add tanning, just 2.5kilo of sugar and water.
youngs yeast and yeast nutrient,
Pectolase, Camden tables.
It’s been finished now for about a week and half.

Tastes very potent indeed. But damn it’s nice!

Although iv only sampled it, gave most away to guys who work for me as not much shifts on with covid so finances shall be tight- I’m not very altruistic 😉but sure I shall be generous with home brew as you get a buzz when you get feedback from them having a nice time drunk after a few glasses. Everyone says the same that it’s pretty strong.

I actually think I’m getting addicted to making wine kits etc. That’s me onto the 4th kit in a month plus this juice wine.

If you haven’t already get one of those mangrove Jack fermenters, they are brilliant for 23ltr batches. Happy drinking over Xmas.

I could use green tea for tannin instead of the usual :)

Hi,Did the green tea work? I'm planning on making a white Wow later today using juice from tinned peaches and AJ but trying to keep it as pale as possible. Ta

Three more combinations on the go now:

Apple & Mango with RGJ
Cranberry and RGJ
Apple and Orange

I also started a banana wine off as well and I'm planning to do a fruit tea one and the turbo cider.

I've got 4 more kits to get going as well. Had to clear the spare room out to turn it into a brewery during the week!

Any recommendations for juice from Lidl? They have just opened a brand new massive store across from me. Went in and obviously headed straight for the juice isle. No grape juice but loads of other others.
Any ingredients I should be looking to avoids?

No grape juice but loads of other others.

The rule of thumb is try to get 100% juice and avoid any that contains preservative (will be listed in ingredients) if it says something like drink within 5 days of opening you can be sure it has no preservative.

If the juices are 50% double up.

Any recommendations for juice from Lidl? They have just opened a brand new massive store across from me. Went in and obviously headed straight for the juice isle. No grape juice but loads of other others.
Look at the ingredients list. If it says, for instance, "100% apple juice from concentrate" it's OK. If it says "Apple juice, various, other, stuff, preservatives" it isn't. I haven't tried the Lidl juice, not for a long time, anyway. How much is it? The Aldi versions ferment OK:

1) Aldi "Everyday Essentials" apple juice from concentrate £0.55/litre.
2) Aldi "The Juice Company" apple juice from concentrate £0.59/litre.

Aldi has other versions but I have not tried them. The only difference I can detect between the above two is the sugar content (from the "nutrition information"), they taste extremely similar.

Hi,Did the green tea work? I'm planning on making a white Wow later today using juice from tinned peaches and AJ but trying to keep it as pale as possible. Ta
Oh sorry, did not get to the site till today. The green tea worked great- would recommend, now only using green tea for whites

The green tea worked great-
Hi, I've started a white using the grape juice from tinned peaches and apple juice.I used the green tea so hoping for good results,it's bubbling steadily. Any idea on the sugar content in the grape juice?, OG seemed a little down, although I'm happy with wine that's around 10% so not a problem .

I buy the 1.5 ltr pure apple juice from lidl which works out at 55p per litre. I go there pretty regular so pick up a few cartons now and then.
Think the only other pure juice they do is orange but I've not bought that. Both are Naturis I think,

I use them for turbo cider and supermarket wine with pure red grape juice from Asda.
Never seen pure red grape juice at lidl.

Hi, I've started a white using the grape juice from tinned peaches and apple juice.I used the green tea so hoping for good results,it's bubbling steadily. Any idea on the sugar content in the grape juice?, OG seemed a little down, although I'm happy with wine that's around 10% so not a problem .
I have used green tea now in all my whites and it
I am now using green tea in all my whites, it leaves it nice and pale and gives enough tannin and is a bit mellower then black tea. I did ad 150g more sugar than usual - I think it was towards 900g - depends how many tins you used :) - I did measure on hydrometer at 1090

I trekked around the shops today looking for pure juices which was harder than I'd expected. Ended up buying:

4.5 litres Lidl Apple Juice
5 litres Asda red grape juice
2 litres Asda prune juice
1 litre Asda clementine juice

And I also added.

2 tsp pectolase (all I had to hand)
V strong cup of Earl Grey
3 kg sugar
Yeast starter

(20 litres)

Those were the only pure juices I could find (other than orange), so I thought I'd give them a blast. The clementine juice is to offset the dullness of the prune juice; will it work? No idea, but at least I'll be regular!

I set it to work earlier with some pectolase, 1.5kg granulated sugar (another 1.5 to be added in two days time) and I made a yeast starter so it's already fizzing away in my old fridge. The only reason I'm feeding the sugar is for a quick ferment, I'd like to be able to drink a bottle on Christmas day, but I've left it very late, I know.

Am making 20 litres. If it comes out a bit thin I'll get a bottle of concentrate from Wilko to round it out. Kind of regret not getting an extra bottle of red grape juice now, but we'll see how it goes!

After a slow start the red grape juice and summer fruits wine is bubbling away nicely 😁
The cider i got going (both with crossmyloof yeast) is up in the airlock, changed that today.
The contents is way down from the neck in the demijohn 😳

Tried a glass of that summer fruits wine last night and not impressed.
Consistency is thick like port and tastes almost cough syrupy.
:(
Not sure whether to keep the other 5 bottles until next winter to see if there's an improvement or bin it.

Probably the former.

Back