Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my prune concoction is still going after 12 days. looks good however.
Prune is a winner. Mine came out really tasty and it adds a nice deep ruby colour to the wine. I'm going to try fermenting with Young's oak chips next time for some character. My only gripe is that it's more like an alcoholic fruit juice than a wine; no depth. Still very pleasant though!

Prune is a winner. Mine came out really tasty and it adds a nice deep ruby colour to the wine. I'm going to try fermenting with Young's oak chips next time for some character. My only gripe is that it's more like an alcoholic fruit juice than a wine; no depth. Still very pleasant though!
that's good to hear (the tasty that is). wasn't sure that someone else had tried it. it won't stop fermenting but am eager to taste it.

So, after reading through pages and pages of cool and useful recipes I am ready to go. I have made a gallon of strawberry wine and a gallon of dark fruits wine. Both bottled and ageing now. Taste not bad for early days. I want to make a “white wine” next. Obviously without white grape juice as it’s hard / expensive to get. To my mind I may as well spend the money on a cheap kit! I have kits going in other fermenters right now but this lovely glass container will be empty in a couple of days so... could anyone recommend a recipe for something that will come out like a white wine? Happy to go with whatever as an experiment !

many thanks in advance.
ben.

@BenPowell

You can buy white grape concentrate but its twice the price of white grape juice and you will have to pay postage if you don't have a shop that sells it locally, we buy the Range make your own kits they are good kits and inexpensive, postage is £3:95 (and its only £3:95 if you buy two kits at the same time)

They are not showing white wine kits at the moment so keep checking, we make the Rose wine regularly when we first ordered we thought it would be rubbish due to the price, we were pleasantly surprised.

https://www.therange.co.uk/cooking-and-dining/drinks/home-brew/#sort=relevance&page=1&lpp=24

Last edited:
Many thanks. Will get a Range kit to try when in stock. Making my favourite WineWorks kit in my big fermenter and just been out to Wilko and Tesco for...

tinned peaches
Apple juice
sugar

now time to mash up, add sugar etc and watch it go in the gallon demijohn. Thanks again.

great to read everyone’s posts etc.

I am new to all this and have got a bit giddy! 😳

I have completed 2 separate red kits and 1 is good, the other not so (like Sherry)... but the giddy bit is that I have 4 demijohns on the go at once, all with 100% juices - no added water - unlike most of the recipes i’ve read here.
They are slow fermentation at the mo but it is cold... have I dropped the ball or will 100% juice (and sugar) be ok?

thanks folks

I think you'll find they'll be like Sherry. Think of it like cordial and water rather than juice. I've made that mistake a couple of times, same when I've used juice drink without realising.
It's not a write off though just a faff. You'll have to split the batches and add water and possibly sugar.
Rather than buying more demi John's I'd buy some plastic bottles of mineral water either 2l or 5l. You can use some of the water for the wine and squeeze them so there's a minimal amount of head space above your wine.

Last edited:
I think you'll find they'll be like Sherry. Think of it like cordial and water rather than juice. I've made that mistake a couple of times, same when I've used juice drink without realising.
It's not a write off though just a faff. You'll have to split the batches and add water and possibly sugar.
Rather than buying more demi John's I'd buy some plastic bottles of mineral water either 2l or 5l. You can use some of the water for the wine and squeeze them so there's a minimal amount of head space above your wine.

thanks for the advise, much appreciate.
I will split and top up.

thanks again

No problem.

This link should be a short documentary on how tropicana juices are made and they're not the wonder liquid, marketing will have us believe.

Greg Wallace has a "inside the factory" episode on juice too. The Carling (Series 4, Beer) and Bulmers (Seties 6, Cider) episodes are worth a watch too.

Thanks for that - have split the batches, took half litre out of each and added water. Also moved to warm room because only 60 in utility (Mrs will be delighted when she sees this lot in her office room!)
1xRGJ (now 3.5l) SG was 1120! now 1104
1 x Apple Juice (now 3.5l) SG was 1115
1 x Apple and Rasperry (now 3.5l) SG was 1118
& 1l mixed fruits, 1.5l Apple & 1.5l Orange - total reduced to 3.5 with starting SG 1115.

I just have to learn the art of ‘patience’ now!

thanks for your help btw

Hi folks, my first post here. I’m am new to making wine with supermarket juice so forgive me.
I used the basic recipe 1.5 ltr apple juice, 1 ltr red grape juice, 750 gram sugar, 1tsp Young’s yeast, 1tsp yeast nutrient, tsp tannin ( I used a teabag). I forgot to check the sg though
Fermentation went well and 4 weeks later the sg was down to 990 and it was fairly clear. It tasted ok but a slight fiz, is that how to describe it.
Ok so I drained it off into another vessel, cleaned the demijohn and put it back in along with 1crushed Campden tablet, 3/4 tsp potassium Sorbate and a pinch of Klarowin to clear it and mixed it all up.
Now I have wine that is not clear after a week and the colour has changed.
What have I done wrong? Should I bottle it and ignore the colour and clarity?

It tasted ok but a slight fiz, is that how to describe it.

Did you degas it?

The method i use is, rack onto a crushed campdent tablet in a sanitised DJ, degas, add stabiliser mix in, add finings mix and leave to clear.

If you do not degas it will take a while for it to clear.

Yes I added some Klarowin ( Polish wine clearer) at the same time .. is that a de gasser ?

Yes I added some Klarowin ( Polish wine clearer) at the same time .. is that a de gasser ?
I degas in the demijon, just fill up to the neck then shake half a dozen times over the next hour or two, top up with water then add your finings(clearer) I find the two part finings the best, never fail. Or as Chippy says if you've done a big batch in a fermenter then use a degassing wand.
Screenshot_20210221-093948.png

my 1L prune, 1L AJ and 1L mango (along with the usual suspects) came out really well.
it'll be getting done again.
Is it like a plumy red or more fruity rose? I've eyeballed prune a few times with the idea it's dried plums but didn't want the prune aftertaste.

Back