Supermarket Juice Wine Recipes and Wurzels Orange Wine (WOW) (Recipes only)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
simmo, add the zest of half a lime and half a lemon. makes a big difference. Did you use champagne yeast. Never had a problem with the ferment :wha:

dave0w posted -

Chippy_tea i can report that Pomegranate + blueberry + W grape juice is very nice.

i used:

1L Pomegranate & blueberry
1L Pomegranate
1L WGJ (next time i will try red GJ)
1KG Sugar
5ML Glycerine
1TS Nutrient
1TS Dried active yeast
Added 500ml WGJ after fermenting to sweeten.

This is the basic stuff you need to make a decent supermarket juice wine -

1 litre of 100% juice (my favourite at the moment is apple/raspberry)

1 litre of white grape juice

Add the sugar in the cartons together and make the total sugar in the DJ to 1100g, this will make the finished wine around 13%

Then add -

1 tsp citric acid or juice of one lemon.

1 tsp Tannin or a mug of strong black tea. (i use 3 bags)

1 tsp Yeast (i use youngs super wine yeast compound)

1 tsp Nutrient.

1 tsp Pectolase.

1 tsp Glycerene.

Here are a couple of videos on how to make the wine -

Part 1 -

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpkXCowv2Ys"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpkXCowv2Ys[/ame]

Part 2 -

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJQQdkS0JAw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJQQdkS0JAw[/ame]

Last edited:
Just started another WOW tonight.

Grabbed 2 x 1ltr Pomegranate from Iceland @ £1 each. They didn't have have any GJ, so I was forced to look in M&S and found these very posh looking bottles of pure non concentrated grape juice (180 grapes in each one apparently), which were a bit pricey at 3 for £5, but at least I get to re-use the bottles.

60QBA.jpg

So recipe is:

2 x 1ltr Pomegranate
1 x 750ml M&S fancy Grape Juice (it's a bit of a shame to mix it with the £1 cheap juice, but needs must)
1 x tsp Pectose
1 x tsp Yeast Nutrient
1 x tsp Glycerol
1 x 2 teabag brew
800g Sugar boiled in water
1/5th bottle of Wilkos White grape concentrate
1/3rd sachet of Wilkos wine yeast

Stuck in the DJ tonight, may grab a picture of it tomorrow but it's fermenting already. SG of 1120 :? either going to be a strong, or a sweet one.

This post is aimed at anyone who has made the original orange and WGJ WOW and was put off by it.

Knock up a DJ of this and it may just change your view of supermarket juice wines, it is currently my favourite by far and i have just racked another 18 bottles, it is drinkable straight from the DJ but does get better over the weeks, the weekend is looking good. :lol:

I litre of ASDA Apple/Raspberry @ 80 pence-

5000232872135_500000_IDShot_3.jpeg

I litre of ASDA White Grape Juice @ £1-

5052449211511_500000_IDShot_3.jpeg

800g Sugar.

1 tsp citric acid or juice of one lemon.

1 tsp Tannin or a mug of strong black tea (3 bags).

1 tsp Yeast (i use youngs super wine yeast compound)

1 tsp Nutrient.

1 tsp Pectolase.

1 tsp Glycerene.

:thumb:

tonyhibbett posted.

Here's a 'chardonnay' version:
3 litres pure white grape juice, not from concentrate.
1 litre of 'exotic juice'
425 g sugar
15 g tartaric acid
1 teaspoon each of pectolase, yeast nutrient and tannin
6 g Youngs French oak chips
1 teaspoon Youngs super wine yeast compound
The exotic juice is not that exotic, consisting mostly of pineapple, orange and apple juice, and a small amount of passion fruit, banana and mango. The sg is 1035. I've not used it before, so don't take this as a recommendation. It took a lot of acid to get to the pH of 3.5.

I have just started 3 DJ's of red grape juice and apple juice, i have never made this before so will update in a few weeks.

1 litre red grape juice

1 litre apple juice.

1 tsp youngs super wine yeast compound

1 tsp nutrient

1 tsp powdered tannin (mixed with some of the sugar to stop it turning into lumps)

1 tsp Pectolace

1 tsp Glycerine

A recipe I've made a couple of times and one of the wife's favourites.

In 5 L:

3 L WGJ - Asda
2/3 bottle Belvoir Elderflower cordial (500 ml bottle) - Asda
1stp tannin/nutrient/yeast (don't add citric acid, there is lemon juice in the cordial, add at the end if you want more zing)
This seems to taste best at 14-16% abv, so add sugar according to preference.

Comes out very pale yellow, good body and a good taste/smell of elderflower. A few weeks in the bottle helps but it is palatable fresh and I haven't managed to keep a bottle long enough/been doing this long enough to see how it ages over a long time. Can drop the EF cordial if you want it weaker, but the wife likes it strong, after being fermented out dry and served ice cold.

I wonder if you can help.

I have just made 2 * 1 Gallon Batches of WOW.
Here are my ingredients.

• 1 litre Orange juice 100% from concentrate[/*:m:3mk86z0a]
  • 1 litre White Grape Juice (WGJ) Batch 1 and 1 litre Red Grape Juice (RGJ) Batch 2. 100% C, [/*:m:3mk86z0a]
  • 750g Sugar.[/*:m:3mk86z0a]
  • 1/2 a mug of strong black tea.[/*:m:3mk86z0a]
  • 1 tsp Yeast (youngs super yeast)[/*:m:3mk86z0a]
  • 1 tsp Nutrient.[/*:m:3mk86z0a]
  • 1/2 tsp Pectolase.[/*:m:3mk86z0a]
  • 1 Vit B1 tablet.[/*:m:3mk86z0a]
  • Make up to 5 litre with water.[/*:m:3mk86z0a]

I did not use citric acid as I guessed the OJ would be loaded with it.
I planned to add 1 tsp Glycerene at bottling.

At first Racking
1 Camden Tablet & 1/2 tsp potassium sorbate.

On 25th Feb 2014: starting SG = 1.074 RGJ WOW and 1076.9 WGR WOW.
On 14th Mar 2014: finishing SG = 0.992 RGJ WOW and 0.992 WGR WOW => ABV 11.14% and 11.5%.
There are still very small amounts of bubbles forming but these wines really went for it., I have tried to upload a small video to show this on the 21 Feb 2014. It was going at ~ 90 Bloops Per Minute and topped out at 148 BPM.

I have just racked it this morning, it is still very cloudy, tiny amount of bubbling and a dense but relatively thin sediment, I got all but last 1/2 cm out with a siphon and tilting.

So here are my questions, it taste very bland and thin and I was pretty disappointed. Have I done something wrong? Will it improve with age?

Hi fellow brewers, I'm fairly new new to wine making having done a few kits and a few wows ( still fermenting).
I wondered if anyone could recommend a recipe using the following,
I have ...
2 x 1L red grape and berry. red grape juice 73% strawberry 29% rasp 5% blkcurrent 2%
2 x 1L summer fruits From aldi from concentrate.
2 x 1L apple juice from concentrate.
2 x 1L pressed white grape juice from asda
1 x 1L 100% pure orange juice from concentrate from asda
1 x 1L cranberry and raspberry from asda.
I have all the bits needed to make most wows and plenty of dj's .

Just looking for some ideas of what might work. My wife likes a Zinfandel rose which is why I bought the red grape and berry thinking that might make something similar?

Thanks in advance
Ashley

hi all, got this on last night. My first go at a WOW.
2x1ltr grape/apple/raspberry. grape 50% apple 35% raspberry 15% (no grape on its own available)
0.5 ltr apple 100% from conc.
750g sugar(making 1020g total)
2 bag tea tannin,
small tsp pectolase, citric acid, nutrient, glycerine, half 5g pack universal wine yeast.

I'm not sure if I've put enough yeast in as I'm only getting one bubble every couple of minutes through the airlock this morning.
Can these WOWs vary on how long they take to get going??

CAM00113.jpg

CAM00114.jpg

Had a go at my first wow but it hasn't cleared fully yet so just waiting :whistle:

Set my second wow off on 6 April and it got bottled yesterday! TOH said it was the best one I've made yet!

Aldi 1l red grape
Morrisons red grape and berries 1l
700g sugar
1tsp citric acid
1tsp yeast
Mug of strong black tea
1tsp nutrient
1tsp pectolase
1tsp glycerine

I back sweetened before clearing with 250ml wgj

Lurvely I must say :thumb:

I was lucky enough for my local supermarket to have some whoopsied tins of Black Cherries for 20p :) slightly out of date, and containing Cherries, water, sugar .... So following the WOW format (kind of) I mashed 3 tins in a sterilized bowl with a sterilized potato masher then put the whole lot including syrup into a demijohn with:

1kg Sugar.

1 juice of one lemon.

1 mug of strong black tea.

1 tsp Yeast

1 tsp Nutrient.

1 tsp Pectolase.

1 tsp Glycerene.

And topped up with 17p spring water (realized I didn't have any grape juice and couldn't be bothered to go back out)

Last edited:
I like to use WGJ as a base for fruit wine recipes - adds a good amount of body to what can otherwise be a bit of a let down..

This one is my favourite.

10kg Strawberries
15 limes (juice only)
10 lemons (juice only)
15 litres of WGJ
5 teaspoons of pectolase
pint of strong tea
Champagne yeast and nutrient
5 campdens

Mash it all together, and hit with the campden.

Leave for 24 hours and pitch yeast.

Ferment on the pulp for a week.

Strain and ferment again in a bucket for 4 weeks.

Rack to carboy and top up with WGJ to the top.

Age until clear.

Then bottle in Champagne bottles primed with sugar.

Makes a truly incredible sparkling strawberry wine!

having read the post's on WOW's I thought I would give one ago so popped into wilko's today and bought another DJ as I had non empty. Here's what I have thrown together.......

1 Ltr WGJ (100% pressed from concentrate)
1 Ltr Apple juice (100% from concentrate)
800g sugar
1tsp Yeast Nutrient
mug of strong tea (3 bags)
1tsp Glycerine
½tsp Pectolase
1tsp Youngs wine yeast

Pinched at 24°c and it started almost immediately and is fizzing away nicely now in the kitchen.

Last edited:
Great stuff here, I have 5 gallons of skeeter pee fermenting right now. Friends and family can't get enough!

8lbs of table sugar inverted
3tsp Yeast Nutrient
2tsp Yeast Energizer
2cups of strong tea (3 bags)
2 32oz bottle of lemon juice
2x 16oz bottles of lime juice
Lavlin ICV D-47 yeast

Original recipe here.

As there are now 57 pages on this thread and it would take me all day to read them all (I will one day though ;)).

Ah yes pookiehair, but those pages are the secret map to the golden nectar, all you need is to work your way through them, at about £3 a go, beats buying at the supermarkets!

just bottled this up today;
1ltr wgj
1ltr dines sour cherry juice(asda Turkish/polish section)
usual other ingredients.
sugar up to 1060g total.
tastes and looks superb, my best yet the missus says, I agree and don't usually drink wine.

I have just started 23.5 litres of wine.

5 litres White grape juice

5 litres apple and raspberry juice

3 teaspoons youngs super wine yeast compound.

5 teaspoons nutrient

5 teaspoons pectolace

5 teaspoons citric acid

5 teaspoons glycerine

Tannin = 1 litre of black tea (5 bags stirred several times as i was putting all the ingredients together)

5052449211511_280_IDShot_3.jpeg
297703.jpg

Busy day yesterday -

1 x Red grape juice and Apple.

1 x White grape juice and apple/raspberry.

2 x White grape juice and apple/pear (i haven't tried this before so fingers crossed)

20140927_145829.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back