Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Supermarket Juice Wine how to guide plus Recipes.

Edited 29/9/2020 -

Its generally agreed the original Wurzels Orange Wine (made in the video below) isn't very nice and few make it a second time the good news is the method used in the videos below is the same for all supermarket juice so if you are not keen on the sound of orange wine read on -

Some members are finding their supermarkets are not stocking White grape juice but have Red grape juice, Red grape juice goes well with apple, cranberry, pomegranate or raspberry juice,
Red grape juice does not make red wine it ends up like a shop bought Rosé wine .

In the video below he makes orange wine and uses 1 litre of orange juice and 1 litre of white grape juice you can switch this for any other juice and also use red grape juice if you cannot find white grape juice.

Some supermarket juices (Pomegranate, cranberry etc) are less than 50% juice so you need to add two of these to one of 100% grape juice per Demijohn (DJ).

The two videos below show you the ingredients and the method.

Don't take too much notice of the time quoted for clearing as he intended to let it clear naturally if you use wine finings (KwiK Clear or Youngs Clear It) it only takes 48 hours.

Good luck.

Edit June 2017
To give it a little extra flavour we now use 1.5 litres of apple juice to 1 litre of Red Grape Juice and reduce the sugar by 50g to keep the ABV% the same as in the original.

Part 1 -

A couple of minor mistakes in the Video -

Pectolase
is used to reduce the risk of pectin haze which makes the wine very cloudy.

Glycerine is added to improve mouth feel. (many member no longer use this as we found it doesn't actually make that much difference)

Leave more headspace in the Demijohn than in the video or it will come through the airlock (as it does in the video) and don't top up until until you have racked (syphoned) to the second DJ and degassed your wine, you need a bit of space when shaking the DJ to get rid of the CO2 and especially if using a drill attachment to degas it.

When racking to the second DJ he says it doesn't matter if a little sediment gets through as you will probably be re-racking again, there is no need to rack to a third DJ as your wine will be crystal clear after you have added finings (KwiK Clear or Youngs Clear It) to the second DJ.

Part 2 -

Rosé wine

1 litre Red grape juice.

1.5 litre Apple Juice.

750g Sugar.

1 tsp Tannin or a mug of very strong black tea. (3 bags stirred every couple of minutes as you put the rest of the ingredients together)

1 tsp Yeast (i use youngs super wine yeast compound)

1 tsp Yeast Nutrient.

1 tsp Pectolase.

1 tsp Glycerine. (optional)

1 tsp citric acid or juice of one lemon. (optional)

1670173309857.png
IDShot_225x225.jpg
1637778299853.png

Last edited:
Samdlittle posted this -

1lt Sainsbury's Summer fruits high juice concentrate (boiled to remove preservatives)
1lt Cranberry Juice
1lt white grape juice
500ml apple and raspberry juice
600 grams sugar (estimated)
5ml glycerin
1tsp nutrient
1tsp pectolase
Cup of strong tea for tannin
Topped with water

caitlintilt posted -

2 L tart cherry juice (which actually had a fair amount of grape and apple when looking at the label)
1 L white grape juice
1 tsp citric acid
1/2 tsp tannin
800g sugar
hock wine yeast
1 tsp pectolase
topped up with water

28/5/2013 Edit to add -

Gave it its first racking this morning, slightly dissapointed as I couldn't taste that much cherry, but other than that it seems like it might turn out to be quite an acceptable rose and who knows, the cherry might come through more once its had a couple of months in the bottle, it was a bit fizzy and young for me to get a proper taste :L anyway I topped it up with more WGJ (resisted temptation to use RGJ) and I expect I'll be bottling it in a week or two

the 2 best varients I have made and have been regularly complimented on and asked for was -

5l then racked into a dj to clear
Tesco 1l rgj
Tesco 1.5l apple and blackcurrant
1kg sugar
1tsp pectolase
1tsp nutrient
1tsp super wine yeast
1tsp glycerine
3 teabag brew

and the other as above with 1l rgj and 1.5l orange and pineapple juice. both taste brilliant and are great wether left in the dj a few days to clear or a month before bottling.

also have one with welchs purple grape and mango but not tried that yet as still in the shed maturing. I have found all the combinations of Tesco juice with grape juice made in the same way are nice but the 2 above have been the best to date.

yellafella posted -

1L Aldi Rio Dora Red Grape Juice
1L Aldi Rio Dora Orange Juice with Juicy Bits
1L Aldi Rio Dora Mixed Fruit Juice (Grape Juice Main)
900gm Sugar
1 x Earl Grey, 1 x Yorkshire Tea
1tsb of each of the following, Ritchies Bentonite, Youngs Pectolase, Youngs Yeast Nutrient & Youngs Super Yeast Compound

Ajt125 posted -

So my father in law has asked for a dry white wine so I thought 5 litres of a wow variant would be perfect, this is my recipe:

1L of wgj
500ml of apple juice
500ml of co-op orange & pineapple juice (60% oj 40% pineapple)
900g sugar
Mug of Strong tea
1/2 tsp of glycerine
1/2 tsp of bentonite
1 tsp of pectolase
1tsp of yeast nutrient
1tsp of youngs super wine yeast

I forgot to take a sg reading so adding up the sugars:

98g in the oj&pine combined
172g in the wgj
900g of sugar
Total = 1170g divided by 5 = 234 which should give me a reading of around 1.086

klaus posted -

Easy red

A gallon to start with. Recipe below. Don't know the sugar content of the RGC but I guess total sugar is about 1100g.

1 Litre Red Grape Juice (Lidl)
1 Litre Cranberry/Raspberry Juice Drink (Lidl)
250g Youngs Red Grape Concentrate
700g Sugar
1 tsp citric acid
½ tsp tannin
1 tsp Pectolase
1 tsp Nutrient
1 tsp Youngs General Purpose yeast

Dissolve sugar in about a litre of hot water, add all other ingredients, top to about 4 litres with cold water (top to 5 L after initial activity)
SG at 4 litres = 1.100 – approximated to 5 litres = 1.090
Add yeast and give a good shake. Started to work within the hour.

Sugar Contents:
Lidl RGJ = 161g
Raspb/Cranb = 126g
Youngs RGC = ???g
Sugar = 700

Cherry wine.

1lt-cherry juice.
1lt-red grape juice.
1kg-sugar.
1 cup of black tea
1tsp yeast
1 tsp nutrient.
water.

i have just bottled a wow

1L tesco beetroot,apple,blackcurrant
1L apple juice
2L red grape juice
2 tea bag brew
1 tsp yeast
1 tsp nutrient
2 tsp Pectolase
600g white sugar

its come out like dark rose

Bobsbeer posted -

Here is one of my favorites:
EX001 Exotic Pineapple
16/9/12 Recipe Volume 25 lt

Grape Juice
Aldi White Grape Juice lt 5

Fruit Juice
Aldi Exotic lt 1
Aldi Pineapple lt 1
Aldi Apple Juice lt 2
Aldi Grapefruit lt 1

Dried Fruit/Flowers
Sultanas 200g

Sugar
Granulated Kg 4

Total Sugar 5392
Sugar per Lt 215.68
Expected SG 1.080
Alc % 11.35

simkin posted -

It is a very tasty white table wine. If you didn't know you'd not spot the pineapple, but knowing you can just get some of those tropical notes. Great mouth-feel for a WOW too.

Just bottled and tried this WOW, that I only kicked off 12 days ago and it is already lovely:

3 x 1 litre ASDA White grape juice
1 x 1 litre ASDA pure pineapple juice
1 tsp citric
1 tsp nutrient
1 tsp pectolase
1 tsp glycerol
1 tsp tannin
450 gms sugar
Lalvin all-purpose yeast
1/16 tsp sodium meta to stabilize
Fined with Bentonite ( finding that just plain old bentonite is great at clearing WOWs ).

Stevie1556 posted.

Strawberry Ribena wine

Boil a litre of Strawberry Ribena (the concentrate version) for 15 mins to get rid of the preservatives, then when it's cool add it to a DJ, along with -
3.5 litres water,
680 grams of sugar,
juice of 1 lemon,
yeast
yeast nutrient.

Should produce about 12% abv. The 3.5 litres of water is based on using a 5 litre plastic water bottle for a DJ, but if using a glass one use 3 litres of water.

Jonny69 posted -

Best one so far is for a rosé:

1.5 litre of red grape

1 litre of apple juice

750g sugar in a gallon brew.

It was *just* short of flavour though and I added a dash of strawberry Ribena when serving. I may add a teaspoon of acid if it needs it.

My WOW Variant.

1 litre RGJ (162g sugar) Booths supermarket
2 litres cranberry & blackcurrant juice drink. (234g total for both) Booths supermarket
700g sugar.
1 tsp super wine yeast.
1 tsp nutrient
1 tsp pectolase
1 tsp tannin (2 tea bag brew)
1 tsp glycerine

I will update when it has finished.

Simkin posted -

If you want nice booze really quickly I would wholeheartedly recommend -

3 litres WGJ
1 litre Pineapple juice
500g sugar
Yeast
Nutrient
Tannin
pectolase
Glycerine
little citric acid
water to top up

Start to bottle in 13 days.

I have just bottled my first ever Pomegranate wine and i can honestly say its the best i have made, really pleasant and really strong flavours, i might just try a 5 gallon version. :cheers:

Pomegranate wine.

2 litre Pomegranate juice.

1 litre WGJ.

700g Sugar.

1 tsp citric acid or juice of one lemon.

1 tsp Tannin or a mug of strong black tea.

1 tsp Yeast (i use youngs super yeast)

1 tsp Nutrient.

1 tsp Pectolase.

1 tsp Glycerene.

Latest posts

Back