Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know what the red grape concentrate is but I know that you cannot make red wine with supermarket red grape juice as it turns out like a rosé wine.

Sorry for the noob question but if I wanted to make a red wine would I just use a red grape concentrate? Something like what you get at wilko?

Cheers
Red grape juice is a better option.
Asdas £1.23 per litre is good.

You're probably right chippy if you add water like most wows but how about just juice? Would that make a red?

I don't know what the red grape concentrate is but I know that you cannot make red wine with supermarket red grape juice as it turns out like a rosé wine.

If you add some grape concentrate to it you can make a really good wine. I did 4 cartons, some sugar, 2 £3 bottles red concentrate (wilko sell it) and a load of elderberries and its fantastic. Used some oak dust in secondary. If i paid a tenner for the bottle i would not feel cheated. Has some serious legs on it as well.

So it seems that 250g of red grape concetrate and any type of red/purple fruit or juice makes it red. According to my 1982 Boots book on home wine and beermaking :nod:

I used 2 and it was extremely dark and youngs oak powder, about 10g for a month. I brewed it as a port with the intention of adding brandy but it was too nice to mess with. I think i added some lemon juice and zest and possibly some raisins too.

You're probably right chippy if you add water like most wows but how about just juice? Would that make a red?

It will be darker but it will not be anything like red wine if I remember right (I don't drink red wine so have never tried to replicate it) you need grape skins juice won't cut it.

This thread started out by suggesting using supermarket orange juice to create orange wine.

Some few years ago, a small Middle Eastern country got invaded, and the Americans, and the RAF got invited to help out. The base was just outside Riyadh! This being a 'dry' country, a few A-Fits and Battle-Damage, forever enterprising young blokes, from ground crew got some dustbins and plastic bags together and decided that Camp RAF was NOT going to be a 'dry' area. So they emptied the supermarket shelves of everything fermentable. It started with all the white grape juice, then the red grape juice and finally when the shelves were empty and not being re-stocked they started on the orange juice. I promise you that you have never had anything so foul pass your lips as the stuff that came out of the fermented orange juice barrel! Still, make do and mend, eh?

The original Wurzels orange wine is the only one I have made that I was not keen on and never made again.

Lidl in Newtownards northern ireland is selling a nice 100 percent orange drink at the minute for a pound.

I've been getting prettyuch all my juice from Lidl recently, just finished an Apple, banana and peach wine using their polish juice range that came in a month or two ago and topped up with AJ as fermentation slowed down. Came out around 9~10%

It's pretty rough at the moment, but it's got an interesting mouth feel and good flavour. From some reading I've been doing banana wine needs some aging to get the real benefit.

Next one is going to be an apple and pear wine using 2 of the 3l apple and pear boxes of juice :-)

Hi I'm new here and have recently returned to homebrew after several year away. We have loads of apples at the moment but I'm not keen on just apple wine. I've been adding shop bought frozen fruit to the apples to change the taste a bit but I came across this on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CCG7PNK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Has anyone else used fruit puree in wine and do you think there will be any ingredients that might cause problems?

Last edited by a moderator:
Many of the supermarket juices have puree in them so it will not be a problem using the stuff you linked to unless it has preservatives in it.

I am loving these WOW recipes...totally inspiring!

A couple of questions:

• Tannin - I see that there are various options - a 1 tbag brew, a 3 tbag brew, or grape tannin powder. Is there a specific amount for specific recopies? If so what does a teaspoon(?) or gape tannin powder equate to in tbags? And is there any guidance on what the tannin does, so we know what juices may require what amount of tannin?
  • vitamin c/citric acid - are these in essence doing the same? Why and when would we use them, and in what quantities? Or is it recipe specific?
  • do these "wines" come out with a strong flavour of the fruit, or are they in essence simply white wines with hint?
I hope to make a 5 litre mango wine - I have 2 litres of Rubicon Mango juice...I will add an as yet undecided amount of white grape juice...I don't know what else yet, but I am learning!

Thank you!!

Tannin - I see that there are various options - a 1 tbag brew, a 3 tbag brew, or grape tannin powder. Is there a specific amount for specific recopies? If so what does a teaspoon(?) or gape tannin powder equate to in tbags? And is there any guidance on what the tannin does, so we know what juices may require what amount of tannin?

For a gallon of wine i used to make a mug of tea and use 3 bags you could use one but it takes longer to make a strong mug of tea so more bags = more tannin, for a 23 litre FV i make 1.5 litres in a big glass measuring jug using 8 bags, i have used powdered tannin but its a bit of a PITA and i never used it again, as for the amount i use the same in all versions.

vitamin c/citric acid - are these in essence doing the same? Why and when would we use them, and in what quantities? Or is it recipe specific?

I used to use Citric acid (1 teaspoon per Demijohn) in all my wine but stopped after a while when we ran out and tried one without it and didn't really notice much difference.

do these "wines" come out with a strong flavour of the fruit, or are they in essence simply white wines with hint?

I prefer the red grape juice versions as i think the taste of the different recipes is noticeable compared to the white grape juice versions but that may just be me and others may disagree.

I hope to make a 5 litre mango wine - I have 2 litres of Rubicon Mango juice...I will add an as yet undecided amount of white grape juice...I don't know what else yet, but I am learning!

Add a litre of white grape juice to the two mango.

800g of sugar

A mug of strong black tea.

1 tsp yeast.

1 tsp yeast nutrient

1 tsp pectolace.

Don't top up above the start shoulder of the DJ, and see how it turns out.

Chippy_Tea, thank you SO much!

I'll keep you posted as to how that all goes.

I'm really so very grateful for the speed and thoroughness of replies to my flurry of recent queries. Thank you all!

Mango wine now fermenting (is a photo uploaded) ?

Thank you - I'll keep you posted!

Attachments

• IMG_20180929_232324.jpg
    IMG_20180929_232324.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 115
I've used mango in a tc before and you do get a lot of pulp on the surface, it seems to be with juices that contain puree. You end up with more waste and extra care has to be taken when racking.
I recently did an asda apple and pear wine using 1litre of their chilled juice and a litre and half of plain apple juice, my wife loved it even though it contained no grape. This threw quite a bit of pulp which again was down to the pear content being a puree.

Mango wine now fermenting (is a photo uploaded) ?

Thank you - I'll keep you posted!

Glad to see you didn't make the usual beginners mistake (we all have done it) of filling it too far at the begging, you would have been cleaning airlocks by now. :thumba:

Latest posts

Back