Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I aim for about 950g sugar totals for a 1 gallon wow, this gives me around 11% wine, any more and it sends the Mrs. a bit loopyasad.

Hi, so, I have racked my mango WOW - and "wow"...it tastes, at this point, pretty good! It fermented down to about 1005....with no airlock activity for a few days. And has a lovely, and fairly strong mango flavour. And has a slight sweetness that I like. This is giving me an ABV of about 13%. I now need to degas...

I was in the supermarket last night and was considering more WOWs - using Rubicon fruit juice as they are again on offer (which is what I used for the above); however I noticed that teh 'new' cartons all boasts that they are half the sugar (and now show 4.8g/100ml). They are "sweetened" with steviol(?)...

My question is, does this artificial sweetener affect my SG reading....or will it not matter? One assumes it is "equally as sweet" but with half the sugar, so that must effect the fermentation?

I use rubicon for making watermelon wine. I also made 2 gallons with the mango juice but it tends to foam to much and the foam sits there even after fermentation. However there is very little foam from the watermelon juice.

Oops...spoke too soon!

What's the fix for overflowing foam!? Pour some liquid or the DJ?

Or just let it go crazy then replace the airlocks after a day or so?

ashock1

Let it go and change the airlock and bung like suggested already by other posters. I put my DJ's on a big plate to stop it staining the floor.

Wife just drinking this.
1ltr 100% pineapple juice
1.5ltr apple juice 100%
Sugar up to 900g totals
2 tbag tannin in mug.
Pect, nutr,citric, tsp glycerin.
Balihoo general purpose yeast.
Cleared using wilko wine finings.
Racked at 1000, rarely gets below this using this yeast.
Verdict: lovely white straw colour, crystal clear, nice fruity taste. Not bad at all considering no grape juice.

Wife just drinking this.
1.5ltr apple juice 100%
Sugar up to 900g totals
2 tbag tannin in mug.
Verdict: lovely white straw colour, crystal clear, nice fruity taste. Not bad at all considering no grape juice.
Cool! Might try it out. Seems simple enough.

Yep, me too. It's going on tonight. If it passes the Mrs test it could be a winner, as we tend to shop in Aldi and they don't do a grape juice of any kind.
Same here. If it passes with the Mrs! I did a rather successful Cider with apple juice and watermelon,strawberry juice we have here in Norway. 17 l Apple and 5 of the other. I used 500g of sugar also, Cider yeast with sweetener from eBay and 5 bags of Earl Gray steeped in 1 liter water for an hour. Total cost CA 15 pounds. She's been begging me to make more.

1 carton of pineapple juice, two of Apple, 600g sugar, 1 TSP each of nutrient, yeast, pectolase, citric acid and tannin plus 1/2 TSP glycerol.

The yeast is a bit old, but had been stored in the fridge, so we'll see what happens. Might bung another TSP in for good luck.

Hi gang, done 5 kits now so wanted a crack at a WOW. Been to asda and aldi this morning, neither stock white grape juice. Where do you buy yours? Ta.

Hi gang, done 5 kits now so wanted a crack at a WOW. Been to asda and aldi this morning, neither stock white grape juice. Where do you buy yours? Ta.

Have a look at the first post in this thread, few supermarkets stock white grape juice but many stock red grape juice, if you use red grape juice with other juice it doesn't make red wine so no worries if you don't like red wine.

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/...ne-recipes-and-wurzels-orange-wine-wow.49462/

Some members are finding their supermarkets are not stocking White grape juice but have Red grape juice, Red grape juice goes well with apple, cranberry, pomegranate or raspberry juice,
Red grape juice does not make red wine it ends up like a shop bought Rose wine.

In the video below he uses 1 litre of orange juice and 1 litre of white grape juice, this is fine if both juices are 100% juice, supermarket Pomegranate, cranberry and many other juices are less than 50% juice so you need to add two of these to one of 100% grape juice per Demijohn (DJ).

Wife just drinking this.
1.5ltr apple juice 100%
Sugar up to 900g totals
2 tbag tannin in mug.
We just polished off our second gallon of this recipe, really good, better than the Chardonnay I used to buy.

Like yourself, I did the rounds and the only place I have found White Grape Juice is Waitrose. I got a couple of litres at £1.75 per litre so its a bit steep and I look forward to using it in due course,

If you look at most recipes in this thread you'll see we use a mug of strong black tea instead of shop bought tannin powder as for the difference between not using it and usig it I cannot answer as I have always used it.

I make a pretty reasonable white from Aldi apple juice and " tropical juice mix from Asda ( 5 litres of each).
3.5 kg of sugar, nutrients, citric acid - top up to 23 litres - should give you OG of around 1.085 - I ferment down to 0.096 - it's very quaffabble

Last one I made was a cider made from store bought apple juice. I used 17,5 liters, 500 g of sugar and topped of to 25 liters. I fermented it with a cider yeast with sweetener i found on Ebay, came out at about 7%. My girl loved it. The cider tasted semi sweet with a lot of apple. Next time ill be adding 3-4 liters of grapejuice to the mix. Should be good. It was very drinkable after about 3 weeks in the bottle.:beer1:

Back