Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well I've just put on my Second Apple and Red Grape Wine. I've learned a lot from the first one thanks to the forum support. Not tasted the first yet but looking forward to giving it a go next week.

Hi Portreath, Ive got one of these on the go as well, bubbling constantly for a few days now, Ive just made a degassing tool that fits into a dj and use a cordless drill to save shaking, its basically a cut down mixing spoon,hole drilled through it and a piece of syphon tube, Ive just tried it on a red wine kit and its released a mass of co2.I boiled it a bit after I made it to sanitise.Saves all that shaking the dj.
IMG_20190428_192528.jpg

Just bottled my very first Apple and Red Grape wine. Chuffed, I now have 9 500 ml plastic bottles of very nice tasting alcoholic fruit juice. I was concerned that leaving in primary for so long it would turn out too dry (as I read somewhere) but it's actually quite nice, and not bad for a first attempt. I've back sweetened a couple with a non fermentable and I've added half a teaspoon of sugar to one to see if I can get a fizz going. I found a case of Highland sparkling spring water in the store, which was out of date so I have used these to bottle up. Looking forward to trying the fizzy and sweeter versions now.

Yes, indeed. My v2 is in the DJ and is about 6 days into fermentation and is going well. Although, both of my wines have fermented well, they have not gone as mental as those I've seen on the video. I guess this is down to the yeast type? Neither of my wines have tried to climb out of the DJ.

Yes, I did a apple and mango cider that was really insane. BTW just taken a bottle of the apple and red grape out of the fridge and it taste really good. The wife is really impressed. I back sweetened it with 1 click of sweetener. what a lovely summery drink, not sure what the ABV is but I'm guessing around 13%, but not at all heavy. I think this is so drinkable it might get a few peeps quite quiffy:cheers2:

I am just about to bottle a 30 bottle Range store make your own Rose wine kit, i hate bottling but will enjoy a couple later.

I find a few drinks help the bottling. Do you use glass wine bottles or the 500ml plastic? Let me know how the wine turns out, there is a Range store only 10 mins walk from my house.

Hi folks, my rgj and apple wow is 17 days in, still in fv and now at .991 so am about to rack to 2 demijohns.
Has anybody made wow without campden or stabilizers?, I might put wilko stabilizer in one dj and nothing in the other to see what may occur, anyone any thoughts /experience on this?. Had a little taste and its quite good, reasonably clear as well.

Not adding stabiliser will not be a major problem unless you are not keen on really dry wine.

If you are going to keep the wine for a very long time its best to add Campden to stop it spoiling.

Ta, Think I'm going to chance leaving it out, I'll degas and see how it clears and maybe leave finings out as well, keep it organic.It'll be drank over the next few weeks once its clear enough, at bbqs and get togethers so probs wont have chance to spoil!

maybe leave finings out as well, keep it organic.It'll be drank over the next few weeks once its clear enough

If you leave finings out it'll probably take more than a few weeks to clear which isn't a problem if you are in no rush to drink it.

I started to degass my Apple and red grape yesterday with @DavieC style wand. I thought it would be good to go after 14 days, however; after degassing I took a hydrometer reading and oops...it's still at 1.020....have I broken it?

I have never had a fermentation last more than 10 days even in a unheated room in the middle of winter have you checked the hydrometer for accuracy?

Hi good people,

I was wondering what people thought of these Welch's juices for WOWs? Also Rubicon's mango...

I made my first wows last year - with kudos to you all for your help and advice.

Some were better than others... generally ok...bit a slight off taste towards the end of the taste...a little seemingly sweet....then astringent/bitter.

I realised upon closer inspection and when a penny dropped...that my juices often had added sweeteners - Rubicon is now "half the sugar"...

I am guessing it might be these sweeteners that I was tasting?

Are these juices now defunct for homebrew? Unless one likes the taste?

I am now trying to find 100% fruit juices instead....and NO sweeteners?

Did I make a rookie error?

What specific juices do you get for wows? The long life stuff, or fresh? Or it doesn't matter as long as it is juice. Just juice. And nothing but the juice.... Except for some stabilisers that I understand can be boiled off...

If I am now going to switch to Just Juices...what % sugar should I be ball parking on the ingredients list?

Many thanks!

Attachments

• 15579306207462448812853620581521.jpg
    15579306207462448812853620581521.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 216
  • 1557930651620975241247319494813.jpg
    1557930651620975241247319494813.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 325

Latest posts

Back