Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are these juices now defunct for homebrew? Unless one likes the taste?
I am now trying to find 100% fruit juices instead....and NO sweeteners?

I haven't used any juices with sweetener so couldn't comment on it being the reason for the strange taste but as i haven't tasted it you may have found the reason.

What specific juices do you get for wows? The long life stuff, or fresh? Or it doesn't matter as long as it is juice. Just juice. And nothing but the juice.... Except for some stabilisers that I understand can be boiled off...

I use any juice drink cartons as long as they don't have any preservative added the ones i use often say drink within 3 - 5 days after opening.

Boiling doesn't get rid of the preservative i have done it in the past and believe me its not worth the hassle.

If I am now going to switch to Just Juices...what % sugar should I be ball parking on the ingredients list?

If using a DJ make the total sugar content (including the cartons ) to 1100g which will give you 13%

Last edited:
I have never had a fermentation last more than 10 days even in a unheated room in the middle of winter have you checked the hydrometer for accuracy?
I just checked the cranberry, apple and grape juice wine I started a week last Saturday (11 days ago) and its still bubbling about once every 4 seconds. It is in my brewfridge, set at 20.5°C and has been steady all along; it never attempted to escape through the airlock, despite having slightly overfilled the DJ.

I'll give it a couple more days, then take a hydrometer reading.

Hi good people,

I was wondering what people thought of these Welch's juices for WOWs? Also Rubicon's mango...

I made my first wows last year - with kudos to you all for your help and advice.

Some were better than others... generally ok...bit a slight off taste towards the end of the taste...a little seemingly sweet....then astringent/bitter.

I realised upon closer inspection and when a penny dropped...that my juices often had added sweeteners - Rubicon is now "half the sugar"...

I am guessing it might be these sweeteners that I was tasting?

Are these juices now defunct for homebrew? Unless one likes the taste?

I am now trying to find 100% fruit juices instead....and NO sweeteners?

Did I make a rookie error?

What specific juices do you get for wows? The long life stuff, or fresh? Or it doesn't matter as long as it is juice. Just juice. And nothing but the juice.... Except for some stabilisers that I understand can be boiled off...

If I am now going to switch to Just Juices...what % sugar should I be ball parking on the ingredients list?

Many thanks!

Hi Daniel.

I made wine from Rubicon watermelon juice and Rubicon Mango Juice. The results were ok but they tend to foam like a SOB. I had to change the airlock every day due to excess foam. I was however using 1 kg of sugar in the watermelon and about 500 grams in the mango.

All in all i wouldn't recommend.

I think Pineapple is similar to Marmite in that you either love it or hate it, i fall into the second category.
Ha - just tried a sample, and yes, it tastes disgracefully similar to Marmite sick... which in my book for a wine is just Wrong. I might try blending it with something else. Going to try a Tea wine next!

IMG_20190530_153338.jpg Hi all, I've been waiting for a demijohn of apple and rgj to clear naturally, its getting there and I can see my fingers if its placed with the light shining through it so resonably clear.I was wondering how clear it actually gets with finings?.Ive been away for a few days and had planned to add finings now I'm back home if it was still cloudy but if its more or less there I may just bottle and drink.How clear is clear ? I racked and de-gassed approx 3 weeks ago.As usual your advice and experience much appreciated.

Last edited:
Here is part of the second video from the first post in this thread, the first picture shows an orange wine at day two and after adding KwiK Clear at the end of fermentation (picture two) you can clearly see the word Bristol through the DJ.

1111111111.jpg

2222222222.jpg

Thanks, still some to go yet then..Ive got 2 dj's of the wine so might kwik Clear one and leave the other.ta

Thanks, still some to go yet then..Ive got 2 dj's of the wine so might kwik Clear one and leave the other.ta
I decided to bottle the clearer of the 2 demijohns as we were having a family gathering and wanted to try the wine.It was a huge success,everyone said it was an excellent Rose wine.
I've still got a full demijohn but will start another 10ltr batch this week. Cant believe how well it turned out,really pleased.thanks @Chippy_Tea and everyone who posts ,great thread.

My first ever WOW, with purple grape and apple juice, is still bubbling away after two weeks! How long will it continue? I like dry wine so I'm loathe to stop it.

:beer1:I all, I racked 10 ltr apple and rgj and another 10ltr apple and pineapple into demihohns and just had a degass session..loads of foam and bubbles and fizzing.I had a little taste of the apple and pineapple...very much like cider,not sure if this will change to a more wine like taste??.However it turns out it definitely wont go to waste tho ,glug glug!!:beer1:

Supermarket Juice Wine Recipes.

Rose wine

1 litre Red grape juice.
1.5 litre Apple Juice.
750g Sugar.
1 tsp Tannin or a mug of very strong black tea. (3 bags stirred every couple of minutes as you put the rest of the ingredients together)
1 tsp Yeast (i use youngs super wine yeast compound)
1 tsp Yeast Nutrient.
1 tsp Pectolase.
1 tsp Glycerine. (optional)
1 tsp citric acid or juice of one lemon. (optional)

I followed this recipe. It's still fermenting slowly after three weeks. The SG is 1.000. My question is, do I degas and then add finings? I'm going to leave it another week.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you like sweet wine you could finish it now if not wait until it gets below .995 then rack to another DJ onto a crushed Campden tablet, add stabiliser, degas and add finings.

Last edited:
Bottled my first two fruit juice wines this afternoon, Cranberry & Apple and Mango & Passion Fruit. Had a sneaky taste of each, both were pretty good, very drinkable.:beer1:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back