Supermarket Juice Wine Recipes and Wurzel's Orange Wine (WOW) .....

Discussion in 'Wine & Cider Discussions' started by Chippy_Tea, May 23, 2013.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. May 15, 2019 #2301

DanielB

DanielB

DanielB

Hi good people,

I was wondering what people thought of these Welch's juices for WOWs? Also Rubicon's mango...

I made my first wows last year - with kudos to you all for your help and advice.

Some were better than others... generally ok...bit a slight off taste towards the end of the taste...a little seemingly sweet....then astringent/bitter.

I realised upon closer inspection and when a penny dropped...that my juices often had added sweeteners - Rubicon is now "half the sugar"...

I am guessing it might be these sweeteners that I was tasting?

Are these juices now defunct for homebrew? Unless one likes the taste?

I am now trying to find 100% fruit juices instead....and NO sweeteners?

Did I make a rookie error?

What specific juices do you get for wows? The long life stuff, or fresh? Or it doesn't matter as long as it is juice. Just juice. And nothing but the juice.... Except for some stabilisers that I understand can be boiled off...

If I am now going to switch to Just Juices...what % sugar should I be ball parking on the ingredients list?

Many thanks!

Attached Files:

2. May 15, 2019 #2302

Chippy_Tea

Chippy_Tea

Chippy_Tea

Administrator. Administrator

I haven't used any juices with sweetener so couldn't comment on it being the reason for the strange taste but as i haven't tasted it you may have found the reason.

I use any juice drink cartons as long as they don't have any preservative added the ones i use often say drink within 3 - 5 days after opening.

Boiling doesn't get rid of the preservative i have done it in the past and believe me its not worth the hassle.

If using a DJ make the total sugar content (including the cartons ) to 1100g which will give you 13%

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  3. May 15, 2019 #2303

DanielB

DanielB

DanielB

Chippy-Tea, as ever, you are a diamond. Thank you!

Chippy_Tea likes this.
  4. May 15, 2019 #2304

MmmBeer

MmmBeer

MmmBeer

I just checked the cranberry, apple and grape juice wine I started a week last Saturday (11 days ago) and its still bubbling about once every 4 seconds. It is in my brewfridge, set at 20.5°C and has been steady all along; it never attempted to escape through the airlock, despite having slightly overfilled the DJ.

I'll give it a couple more days, then take a hydrometer reading.

Chippy_Tea likes this.
  5. May 16, 2019 #2305

StevieG83

StevieG83

StevieG83

Hi Daniel.

I made wine from Rubicon watermelon juice and Rubicon Mango Juice. The results were ok but they tend to foam like a SOB. I had to change the airlock every day due to excess foam. I was however using 1 kg of sugar in the watermelon and about 500 grams in the mango.

All in all i wouldn't recommend.