Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am planning to put on an apple and pineapple WOW tonight however I dont have any citric acid. Will the juice of 1 lime do?

It will but TBH i stopped using it years ago as we couldn't really tell the difference when i made one without it.

I am planning to put on an apple and pineapple WOW tonight however I dont have any citric acid. Will the juice of 1 lime do?

I would have thought so, pineapple juice itself is fairly acidic so you might not need a lot extra

I made first 2 WOWs recently

1 litre Stute WGJ
1 litre Tesco Apple, mango, peach and passion fruit.
500ml pineapple
700g sugar
Tannin, glycerine, pectic, nutrients

Tasted good, maybe next time I might try upping the pineapple to 1 litre and reduce the mixed fruit to 500ml to see if it makes it crisper and cleaner as opposed to fruity. It's good though.

Next

1 litre Stute WGJ
1.5 litre Tesco Forest Fruits. (Apple, Grape, Strawberry, Blackberry, Blackcurrant)
700g sugar
1 tsp acid
Plus the ingredients

This tastes nice and has a subtle berry flavour. The only thing is when it's cold out goes cloudy, then when at room temp it clears again. I used Ritchies Kwik clear so I wasn't sure if it is any residual gelatine or something else which comes out of solution at lower temperatures.

Also it tastes better at room temperature than cold, when it's fridge cold out tastes more acidic. I know that perceptions of sweetness are less at colder temperatures so I wondered if that makes it seem more acidic or is it is something else. I will try adding some sugar to some when cold and seeing what effect it has...

If the juice is 100% juice 2.5 litres will be fine, I thought it would be watery when I first started but it wasn't.

I was in the same position last month and used Lime juice it seemed to work the same did I really notice any difference

I ended up using 2lt apple and l lt pineapple. Ended up at sg of 1.100. Not sure if that's too high but I'll be happy if it gets to 13% abv.

So don't look like I've balls it up then. I'll take that as a win :laugh8:athumb..

Reason #2
Adding Too Much Sugar At The Beginning Of Fermentation:

When a fermentation occurs what is really happening is the wine yeast is consuming sugar and turning it into alcohol. So the amount of sugar that is available to the wine yeast controls how much alcohol that can be made. But contrary to reason, it is possible to have too much sugar in a fermentation.

If the sugar concentration level of the must becomes too high at any given point--either at the beginning or during the fermentation--it starts to have an inhibiting effect on the yeast's ability to produce alcohol. In other words, the higher sugar concentration starts to act as a preservative effecting the fermentation in a negative way.

https://eckraus.com/wine-making-stuck-2

Reason #2
Adding Too Much Sugar At The Beginning Of Fermentation:

When a fermentation occurs what is really happening is the wine yeast is consuming sugar and turning it into alcohol. So the amount of sugar that is available to the wine yeast controls how much alcohol that can be made. But contrary to reason, it is possible to have too much sugar in a fermentation.

If the sugar concentration level of the must becomes too high at any given point--either at the beginning or during the fermentation--it starts to have an inhibiting effect on the yeast's ability to produce alcohol. In other words, the higher sugar concentration starts to act as a preservative effecting the fermentation in a negative way.

https://eckraus.com/wine-making-stuck-2

I realised that I hadnt added any water....that'll teach me to stay off the rum while I put a brew on. Topped up to 4lt now. Haven't bothered taking another reading. Let's see what happens o_O

What is Stute WGJ please? I imagine it's white grape juice of some sort.

You will be lucky to find any white grape juice now. The White Grape Juice shortage thread .

1589652234861.png

Attachments

• 1589652204001.png
    1589652204001.png
    155.6 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Thanks. It's certainly hard to find, I only came across one online retailer who say they have stock. Having compared concentrate to supermarket grape juice on a price per weight of fermentable sugars, there really is very little difference.

I did apple and cranberry cider from Aldi juice, 15litres of apple and 4 litres of cranberry with the juice of 4 limes and 3 strong mashed teabags. It turned out really well. fermented with Ebbergarden Kviek which give a nice dry cider but not too dry to my taste. It was really cloudy so I guess I could try some pectinase next time.

I couldn't really tell the lime was in there

2 WOWs today:

Merlot & Apple:
2L Waitrose Merlot Grape Juice
1/2L Apple Juice
750g sugar
Citric Acid
Yeast Nutrient
Young's Yeast

Apple, Raspberry & Rhubarb
2L Waitrose Apple, Raspberry & Rhubarb
250ml Young's white grape juice concentrate
750g sugar
Pectolase
Citric Acid
Yeast Nutrient
Lalvin EC-1118 Yeast

Hoping these will both turn out to be pleasant light reds

If I ad 1lt red grape, 1lt appe and raspberry and 1lt apple. How much water should I be adding at the start? Cant get my head round topping up to 5lt later on.

If it top up to 4 lt at the start is that ok? I put one on the other day and that's what I did.

Latest posts

Back