Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tend to use sweetener instead of sugar to avoid fermentation starting up again. If you add it at the same time as your finnings (after racking) you can make sure it's well mixed in. If you add it later and mix it in you'll disturb any sediment that has fallen out unless you rack again first.
Thank you very much. Will try the sweetener :)

Noob question ... I am experimenting with some pineapple and apple juice WOW, it’s nearly done at 994, tastes very nice like a light table white, however rather sharp - I like dry wines but this one is quite acidic. I will be racking it and stabilising soon and then clearing, thinking of backsweetening with about 100g of sugar to a gallo . Do I backsweeten after racking and before clearing or after it’s clear? Thank you very much for your help
Instead of sweetening, you could make it less acidic. do you have pH papers or a pH meter? You could add potassium or calcium carbonate to take the edge off.

Instead of sweetening, you could make it less acidic. do you have pH papers or a pH meter? You could add potassium or calcium carbonate to take the edge off.
I have precipitated chalk I have used for my rhubarb country wine (That one will take ages) would that help? No pH papers... really only got back to making wine recently. Years ago did few wilkos and elderflower one- but did not have to do much to those as worked out fine :)

Precipitated chalk is calcium carbonate! Try a little in a glass of your wine - it will fizz. I dosed three teaspoons to a gallon but that was too much and did not all dissolve.

Precipitated chalk is calcium carbonate! Try a little in a glass of your wine - it will fizz. I dosed three teaspoons to a gallon but that was too much and did not all dissolve.
Doh! Of course it is! Thank you very much for being patient with a noob like me :) really appreciated!

Oh the favourite rose turned out great. So did the pineapple (could not believe how fast it all fermented- weather helped!) now onto some more experimenting. Mango/pineapple/apple and dash of passion fruit ready for clearing - had a sneaky taste and is lovely!

Attachments

• F9D861FA-8C2E-4738-B55A-50E7F5D5DA36.jpeg
    F9D861FA-8C2E-4738-B55A-50E7F5D5DA36.jpeg
    32.8 KB · Views: 91
Well my 2 wines have finished fermenting and have racked both to get off dead yeast. I have started to degas the white but my expected delivery of campdon, stabiliser today is now not arriving till Monday. Should I stop dregasing or am I ok to continue and add campdon tablet and stabiliser on Monday?

Thanks Andyhop

I would carry on some members don't use campden and if you plan on drinking it within a couple of months its not really needed.

Thanks Chippy, do I still need to use a stabiliser?
I will add campden to the red as will be keeping about 6 months.

I would use it as I've had wine slowly ferment in glass bottles which was a bit of a worry, i let the small amount of CO2 out every night which was a bit of a PITA if they were plastic bottles i wouldn't have worried so much.

Great, I will get on with degasing this weekend and add stabiliser and finings on Monday.
The white tastes amazing but the red will hopefully taste better in 6 months.
Andyhop

I have made couple of forum favourites and they turned out well. Will leave them couple of weeks in bottle to mellow (if they last that long). Took advice to have more on the go to build up stash. After a quick stop at wilkos and supermarket have another two on the go.

1L mango Rubicon
1L apple
1bottle of wilko white grape concentrate

1l aldi apple/mango
1bottle wilko white grape concentrate
1l apple
Zest of lemon

Sugar to 1090 in both
Have filled PET water bottle to the top - added the usual - strong cup of tea, pectolase, citric acid, nutrients and yeast - once it had taken off decanted half a litre from each to sterilised plastic bottles to give headroom. Once the fermentation calms down will pop the rest back in and leave to finish (should save me from thinking what to top up with hopefully) - previously managed to get full 6bottles and a big glass for immediate consumption doing it like this.

Because of the white concentrate it’s a bit dearer then my previous ones but hope it will be nice (and I love white wine!)

Made some mango/apple and pineapple WOW. Fermented down to dry - racked onto campden and stabiliser- degassed and topped up with apple juice. Added finings and looks like the yeast has not been killed off and started to slowly ferment again :( - will it ferment out and then clear or will I need to do the racking, stabilising, degassing and finings again... or just stash it somewhere and wait to do its thing. Thank you very much

Are you sure its fermenting as gasses are given off when its stabilising and clearing give it a couple of days and it should be clear (depending on which fining you used)

Thank you for this! I know topping up with apple juice is sometimes risky... Used wilkos 2 part finings - Split between two demijohns.
The other is clearly getting there with half of it clear and haze slowly descending - this one is slightly hazy- all of it. It’s only been one day and a bit so I think I might be jumping the gun there! Suppose all behave differently depending on juices used. Pineapple I have done was crystal clear and is still in bottles but as soon as in the fridge gets chill haze ...

Latest posts

Back