Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Supermarket Juice Wine how to guide plus Recipes.

Some members are finding their supermarkets are not stocking White grape juice but have Red grape juice, Red grape juice goes well with apple, cranberry, pomegranate or raspberry juice,
Red grape juice does not make red wine it ends up like a shop bought Rosé wine .

In the video below he makes orange wine and uses 1 litre of orange juice and 1 litre of white grape juice you can switch this for any other juice and also use red grape juice if you cannot find white grape juice.

Some supermarket juices (Pomegranate, cranberry etc) are less than 50% juice so you need to add two of these to one of 100% grape juice per Demijohn (DJ).

The two videos below show you the ingredients and the method.

Don't take too much notice of the time quoted for clearing as he intended to let it clear naturally if you use wine finings (KwiK Clear or Youngs Clear It) it only takes 48 hours.

Good luck. thumb

Edit June 2017
To give it a little extra flavour we now use 1.5 litres of apple juice to 1 litre of Red Grape Juice and reduce the sugar by 50g to keep the ABV% the same as in the original.

Part 1 -

A couple of minor mistakes in the Video -

Pectolase is used to reduce the risk of pectin haze.

Glycerine is added to improve mouth feel. (many member no longer use this as we found it doesn't actually make that much difference)

Leave more headspace in the Demijohn than in the video or it will come through the airlock (as it does in the video) and don't top up until until you have racked (syphoned) to the second DJ and degassed your wine, you need a bit of space when shaking the DJ to get rid of the CO2 and especially if using a drill attachment to degas it.

When racking to the second DJ he says it doesn't matter if a little sediment gets through as you will probably be re-racking again, there is no need to rack to a third DJ as your wine will be crystal clear after you have added finings (KwiK Clear or Youngs Clear It) to the second DJ.

Part 2 -

Rosé wine

1 litre Red grape juice.

1.5 litre Apple Juice.

750g Sugar.

1 tsp Tannin or a mug of very strong black tea. (3 bags stirred every couple of minutes as you put the rest of the ingredients together)

1 tsp Yeast (i use youngs super wine yeast compound)

1 tsp Yeast Nutrient.

1 tsp Pectolase.

1 tsp Glycerine. (optional)

1 tsp citric acid or juice of one lemon. (optional)

IDShot_225x225.jpg
5051413484562_280_IDShot_3.jpeg

right then I am having a go of this today first wine attempt
Few simple questions

do I put the tea bags in with the fermentation or just the tea liquid?

Do I top up the demijohn with water once all ingredients are added

if so how high to the top of the demijohn do take it to?
thanks in advance 😄

Fermentation can cause an overflow so I keep some separate in a one-litre, plastic bottle that held juice. I add this back after two days. Then top up a little above the 4.5L mark so that you can fill six bottles after racking off.

For my next WOW I'm going to add the sugar first and then top up to 4.5 litres with juice. The sugar will take a while to dissolve and I'm hoping that fermentation starts slowly! (so I am NOT going to dissolve the sugar in hot water)

I suggest you mark 4.5 litres on the DJ with a permanent marker.

There is usually around 100g of sugar in a litre of juice so if you use 3 litres of juice you need to add 800g of sugar, the rule of thumb is 1100g of sugar total for 13%

I was in asda this morning and picked up 1 litre of red grape juice and 2 litres of apple juice. Is it ok to use the whole 2 litres of apple juice for the forums rose recipe?
Hi I regularly use 3 litres of juice in total, I don't like overly strong abv wine so dilute with 500ml bottled water after fermentation, also means I end up with full 6 bottles with minimum sediment and use the empty 500ml bottle for the end.

I have the same feeling with my attempt to include cranberries ... I'm still waiting as I think perhaps few months ageing will adjust the flavors.
Cranberry juice isn't 100% juice it's generally got a lot of sweetener in that won't ferment out and I found u end up with an artificially sweet wine. I used the "whole Berry" Variety by ocean spray as it had the largest proportion of fruit and Heron had some with a short date for something like 69p a carton. It wasn't undrinkable but had a cough medicine quality I couldn't get past.

Aaaah I never actually noticed there is a video aheadbuttaheadbutt I will watch this now 😂

Hi I regularly use 3 litres of juice in total, I don't like overly strong abv wine so dilute with 500ml bottled water after fermentation, also means I end up with full 6 bottles with minimum sediment and use the empty 500ml bottle for the end.
As chippy says I never add more than 800g normally closer to 700g.

For supermarket juice, the sugar content is listed per 100g so just multiply by ten for content per litre.
Welch's Purple Grape Juice, for example, contains 16.5g of sugars per 100ml. so a litre carton contains 165g of sugars. 4L would contain 640g. So I add about 500g of sugar and you should add less.

Hm some juices probably not make a nice WOW... experimented with grapefruit juice... it’s nearly fermented but tasted after taking hydrometer reading and the grapefruit is quite bitter and overpowers everything
1lpineapple
1l grapefruit
2L apple
500g sultanas
0.5l passion fruit rubicon in 10l water bottle
(hoped for some nice dry white wine with hints of and it pretty much tastes like grapefruit ) not sure if to dump it or let it finish, bottle and re-visit in few months time :)
Hi

I made a wine I called "Lilt" Wine, I made it up to 15l with only 1 litre each of grapefruit and pineapple the rest was 4xAJ and 3x "Don Simon peach and white grape" juice. It was excellent but the next time I went to Asda they'd stopped selling the Don Simon juice. That's what lead me to try tinned peaches, which work well but you end up with more sediment hence topping up before bottling.
I did find the pineapple and grapefruit up front taste drops off over time. The pineapple chill Haze will also go.

No as this was my first attempt I just added a kilo of sugar to juice didnt know how to calculate combined sugar content. Hadnt found this as a resource so didnt know any better. Cant remember where I found the recipe so just went with 3 litres of juice, kilo of sugar hot water and yeast. Temp kept between 20/22 degrees, just used a standard yeast had found online. Didnt realized would make wine stall out and become rocket fuel. Found another that had pineapple juice and 1.5kilo of sugar View attachment 28852
So this time round knew to do a sg reading and realized had went wrong so split it and diluted with more juice adding 1litre more pineapple and 3 litres of orange as was what I had on hand sg1114 but used youngs super yeast so it fermented out to 994 in half time of original batches. It's way to strong at 15.7% but these are more about me learning process and practice not perfection
Try diluting with mineral water before bottling, it shouldn't be too hard to work out. If u have 5l at 15.7% and add 1lt u will end up with 13.1%, if u used 2/3 or more juice anyway the dilutition will only minimally affect the taste.

No as this was my first attempt I just added a kilo of sugar to juice didnt know how to calculate combined sugar content. Hadnt found this as a resource so didnt know any better. Cant remember where I found the recipe so just went with 3 litres of juice, kilo of sugar hot water and yeast. Temp kept between 20/22 degrees, just used a standard yeast had found online. Didnt realized would make wine stall out and become rocket fuel. Found another that had pineapple juice and 1.5kilo of sugar View attachment 28852
So this time round knew to do a sg reading and realized had went wrong so split it and diluted with more juice adding 1litre more pineapple and 3 litres of orange as was what I had on hand sg1114 but used youngs super yeast so it fermented out to 994 in half time of original batches. It's way to strong at 15.7% but these are more about me learning process and practice not perfection
Your other option is to dilute when serving with lemonade, tonic or soda water and have it as a long spritzer drink.

There is usually around 100g of sugar in a litre of juice so if you use 3 litres of juice you need to add 800g of sugar, the rule of thumb is 1100g of sugar total for 13%
I take it this is to a 4.5 ltr brew?

I found in a demijohn it foamed up a lot and got up the airlock -would it work to do initial fermentation in a fermentation bucket to start then rack off into a demjohn after its calmed down a bit.

for my first attempt I left it in the demjohn to complete fermentation (I made up 4 litres to leave room at the top) but where it foamed up it left a scum mark on the glass -I was a bit worried that could be a source of contamination (although I guess the air space was full of Co2).

whats the best way?

Start by splitting 5L into two demijohns and combine when the foam has subsided! Thay way you will have enough to fill six bottles.

I found in a demijohn it foamed up a lot and got up the airlock -would it work to do initial fermentation in a fermentation bucket to start then rack off into a demjohn after its calmed down a bit.

Only fill the DJ to the shoulder then either top up as fermentation dies down orcas I do after racking for clearing

Hi @Pod 7 , If im making a 10ltr batch I usually ferment in a 15ltr fv then rack to 2 demijohns leaving the trub in the fv, if I need to top up thats when I do it, I rarely degas ,stabilise or add finings,just leave to clear naturally over a few weeks.(unless I need it quick)athumb..

So I have done 2 today for my first attempt here goes :confused.:

w2
White grape, pear, apple juice 1l
Exotic juice 1l
Pineapple juice 1l
1 cup of strong tea (pg)
500g sugar
1tsp citric acid
1tsp Pectolase
1tsp nutrient
1tsp yeast
Hydrometer Reading is 1.092