Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A question that probably has been answered somewhere before but I can not find it! I am running out of glass bottles. How long can I keep WOW in pet bottles? Contained sparkling water and are green 1l ones. Thank you :)

IMG-20200708-WA0003.jpeg
Pineapple and orange used too much sugar fermented to a lethal 15.7%

A question that probably has been answered somewhere before but I can not find it! I am running out of glass bottles. How long can I keep WOW in pet bottles? Contained sparkling water and are green 1l ones. Thank you :)
I'd be tempted and I'm sure someone will correct me if it's a terrible idea, to use a small amount of cling film.
Make it larger than the hole so 5cm by 5cm at a guess. Give it spray of whatever no rinse sanitizer u have place it over the hole and screw the cap over the top to make a tighter seal than the cap on its own. Make sure u squeeze the bottles so theres very little air in the bottle before u screw as tight as it'll go!

I'd be tempted and I'm sure someone will correct me if it's a terrible idea, to use a small amount of cling film.
Make it larger than the hole so 5cm by 5cm at a guess. Give it spray of whatever no rinse sanitizer u have place it over the hole and screw the cap over the top to make a tighter seal than the cap on its own. Make sure u squeeze the bottles so theres very little air in the bottle before u screw as tight as it'll go!
Thank you very much. I was not really thinking years ... serves me right ;) . Cling film idea sounds good and hopefully keeps few months.

So if I do one of these, say 2 litres apple 1 litre pineapple as was recommended previously, and say 800g of sugar to hit 13% (and the usual accompaniments of course), this is a fairly quick brew right? Like what 4 weeks start to clear?

Last edited:
Should ferment out in 2-3 weeks at moment with warmer weather. Couple of days to clear with finings and drink straight away if you like. 1ltr AJ +1 ltr pineapple (pure 100% juice) works good for me, just add a little more sugar to reach your total amount.

Anybody ever came across soapy taste in their WOW? Two fermenters, one with rose and a completely unrelated banana taste like soap. Did not touch both at the at the same time with the same thing and only stirred the banana with sterilised straw and licked after(as you do) and the rose - checked with hydrometer and again licked - but both taste like soap. Prob got both infected... rest of them is fine... no idea what I have done to them.

Currently clearing tinned peach juice wine. Think this is the best one I done so far! 3 Big 830g tins of peach halves in grape juice from Lidl drained and 1l apple juice . Sugar to 1090, green tea brew plus all the usual. Lovely light white wine!
Started on 3rd July and already fermented out and started to clear on its own! Really quick. Tastes lovely (sneaky taste from the trial jar) No crud as only used the juice from the tins (done other things with fruit). To balance after degassing added three clicks of stevia sweetener. Lovely dry white - will do this one again and again

Anybody ever came across soapy taste in their WOW? Two fermenters, one with rose and a completely unrelated banana taste like soap. Did not touch both at the at the same time with the same thing and only stirred the banana with sterilised straw and licked after(as you do) and the rose - checked with hydrometer and again licked - but both taste like soap. Prob got both infected... rest of them is fine... no idea what I have done to them.
I don't think you have an issue, I'd imagine it's more down to u using rose.

It's a common ingredients in many soaps/shampoos. My wife can't stand Corriander in anything (curries/stirfryletc) cause she says it tastes of soap. It doesn't, its pschosymantic, same as I could get past my pomegranate wine tasting like cough sweets!
I should like it'lll mellow. Did u try the rose before the banana if so try them the other way round next time.

I don't think you have an issue, I'd imagine it's more down to u using rose.

It's a common ingredients in many soaps/shampoos. My wife can't stand Corriander in anything (curries/stirfryletc) cause she says it tastes of soap. It doesn't, its pschosymantic, same as I could get past my pomegranate wine tasting like cough sweets!
I should like it'lll mellow. Did u try the rose before the banana if so try them the other way round next time.
Most people who dislike Turkish delight say it tastes like soap!

Most people who dislike Turkish delight say it tastes like soap!
Have strained the banana and it is better, still some weird after taste but I have used different yeast for these two- so might be that! Hopefully it will go. Will leave it to finish - nothing to loose :)

Few more on the go :)
Trying the one from another member on here with raspberry lowitz, (could not wait for outcome as got my hands on the cordial :)
Half a bottle of lowitz
Apple juice
And red grape juice
Now topped up and letting it finish

Strawberry, tinned peach fruit and grape juice one has lovely pinkish colour- hopefully will taste nice!

Banana is just that with some apple juice top up.

Attachments

• DCB218D6-B2B5-41ED-AC76-2B0DE7576023.jpeg
    DCB218D6-B2B5-41ED-AC76-2B0DE7576023.jpeg
    43.2 KB · Views: 84
Not strictly WOW but
The strawberry wine turned out absolutely lovely! It’s nice now but will probably be better if left few months
Recipe:

1.5kg strawberries
1kg drained tinned peaches in grape juice - lidl have big 830g peach halves in white grape juice - got three of these for 94peach (made cracking white wine with the saved juice)
1l red grape juice
Sugar to 1090 - think it was about 800g
Green tea brew -three bags in 500ml for 10 minutes
Pectolase
Yeast and nutrient

Mash up fruit with sugar pour hot water over it to dissolve sugar, add red grape juice and top up with water to 5l in fermenter. Check sugar if needs more add some sugar syrup (warm water with sugar dissolved) - to about 1090
Add Pectolase, yeast and nutrient and ferment for 5days stirring daily.
Strain of the pulp to a demijohn - top up To the neck with apple juice and leave to do its thing- should be ok as the fast explosive fermentation already done.
When fermented, siphon onto a campden and fermentation stopper, de-gass and leave for a day to settle. Add finings
Each glass Smells of fresh strawberries with a hint of strawberry taste and it’s lovely without backsweetening. Will probably be even better in few months time when alcohol mellows and strawberry/peach come through even more.

Is it me or do WOWs sometimes come up better than anything you buy in supermarket? (Obviously £5 bottles :) )

Well I've put this wow on with what I thought due to my impatience.
200ml raspberry/lime tree lowicz
1.5 ltr a/j
700g sugar
1 mug strong tea
Pect/nutr/glycerin
Gervin G2 wine yeast.
1019g of sugar totals so should make around 12% I reckon.
Done in 5ltr plastic demi filled to shoulder.

Update on this, ready to bottle now, degassed/topped up/ finings added three days ago now nice and clear.
IMG_20200720_141538_8.jpg
IMG_20200720_142959_2.jpg

Last edited:
It looks good but only taste will tell, I'll update when the Mrs gets in from work and downs a bottle😃

Latest posts

Back