Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to clarify - my Wows are a lot closer to actual wine (in this case Rosé since can't source WGJ) than my red and white kits are to red and white wine. Which is great !

My last WOW was a basic WGJ and OJ, but it just lacks the fruit edge of any of my other efforts. Back to RGJ and random selection of fruit juices for me...

There's going to be a big techno party around my neighborhood soon, and will have to try some recommendations from this forum.
I'm not to keen on orange, will try to make some with redberries, strawberries or kiwi.

Any recommendations? I'm pretty new to this.
Maybe there is already a recipe like this in this thread, but was to lazy to read everything :P

If you want a bulk batch made then stick with something simple, the RGJ and Apple is an excellent starting point, 6 litres of each and 12 litres of water will make you 30 wine bottles (120-130 glasses).

Be aware that if you are using campden tablets, potassium sorbate, wine finings etc then with a large party like that then people are going to have allergies, tablets contain sulphites, sorbate has an E number and some finings are made from animal bits. Whilst these can be found in commercial wines it is best to let people know.

Chippy, is this still your go to choice for a simple white wine? Minus gycerin.

I haven't made a white wine in a very long time, when we switched to Red Grape Juice (because of the lack of WGJ) we decided we preferred it so never bothered searching for WGJ again, i now don't use Glycerine in any wine and top up with half a litre of apple juice then water to the neck.

WGJ on it's own will give you a reasonable white table wine, basic get the job done, even if you aren't keen on it it is always useful for cooking with or try fizzing it up in champagne/prosecco bottles with a champagne yeast for cheapo bubbly.

I cannot remember anyone doing it but i don't see why not, as the original thread said use a litre of WGJ with a litre of apple juice i followed it and then moved on to using WGJ with other juices but never 2 x WGJ on its own, we did a 2 litre RGJ version and were not keen.

Oh great if this turns out well i am going to have to find some and its as rare as rocking horse s**t round here :lol:

I am bottling my strawberry and lime cider Thursday and want to go straight to try one of these wines as they sound delicious :-).

Could someone recommend a recipe for a 23l Carboy, not too fussy on rose or white just looking to do something a little different..

Thanks

Rosé wine (A forum favourite)

5 litre Red grape juice.

5 litre Apple Juice.

Top up to 22.5 litre with water.

4Kg Sugar.

5 tsp Tannin or a jug of very strong black tea. (5 bags stirred every couple of minutes as you put the rest of the ingredients together)

3 tsp Yeast (i use youngs super wine yeast compound)

5 tsp Yeast Nutrient.

5 tsp Pectolase.

5 tsp Glycerine.(optional)

5 tsp citric acid. (optional)

If you are going to rack to a second FV for degassing and clearing top up with a couple of litres of apple juice then water to take to 23 litre.

IDShot_225x225.jpg
5051413484562_280_IDShot_3.jpeg

This is the one gallon (Demijohn) version of the same wine.

1 litre Red grape juice.

1 litre Apple Juice.

800g Sugar.

1 tsp Tannin or a mug of very strong black tea. (3 bags stirred every couple of minutes as you put the rest of the ingredients together)

1 tsp Yeast (i use youngs super wine yeast compound)

1 tsp Yeast Nutrient.

1 tsp Pectolase.

1 tsp Glycerine. (optional)

1 tsp citric acid or juice of one lemon. (optional)

This is the original orange (WOW) use the same method but switch the orange juice for apple and red grape juice instead of white grape juice.

Part 1 -

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpkXCowv2Ys[/ame]

A couple of minor mistakes in the Video -

Pectolase is used to reduce the risk of pectin haze.

Glycerine is added to improve mouth feel. (many member no longer use this as we found it doesn't actually make that much difference)

Leave more headspace in the Demijohn than in the video or it will come through the airlock (as it does in the video) and don't top up until until you have racked (syphoned) to the second DJ and degassed your wine, you need a bit of space when shaking the DJ to get rid of the CO2 and especially if using a drill attachment to degas it.

When racking to the second DJ he says it doesn't matter if a little sediment gets through as you will probably be re-racking again, there is no need to rack to a third DJ as your wine will be crystal clear after you have added finings (KwiK Clear or Youngs Clear It) to the second DJ.

Part 2 -

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJQQdkS0JAw[/ame]

30 bottles is a bit much for your first try of it, nothing wrong with bulk but if you don't like it your stuck with it, i would be inclined to try a gallon demi john first and go with that first and then if it's to your liking make the bigger batch.

Yea that might be a good idea alright, that video is great for a brewing dummy like me as I can follow every step..

Thanks

Latest posts

Back