Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made two batches today as my first experimental attempt

1litre Orange juice
500ml Grapefruit
500ml Ritchies red grape concentrate
800g sugar
1tsp each of pectolase, yeast and yeast nutrient (Youngs)
Mug of strong tea ( 3bags)

Also
1litre Tropical fruit
500ml Grapefruit
500ml Ritchies White Grape concentrate
Everything else same as above.

SG came out around 1.100 in both

4 hours in and its started to bubble....so it begins

Got this bubbling away at the moment. Top is looking weird and a tad gross haha.

1 litre pineapple
1 litre apple and pear (25% pear)
500ml apple

Is on day 7, can't wait to taste!

Got this bubbling away at the moment. Top is looking weird and a tad gross haha.

1 litre pineapple
1 litre apple and pear (25% pear)
500ml apple

Is on day 7, can't wait to taste!

I did an apple and pear cider and it went exactly like that. Turned out lovely, but I lost a fair bit due to not wanting to transfer too much of that gunk

I am into WOW in a big way and have made many a lovely bottle of lovely quaffable wine but just out of curiosity and interest, does any of the Vitamen C remain from the fruit juice remain when you ferment it into wine?

Yes it does,But the amount of vit c in fruit juice is smaller than you might think

Ascorbic acid (vit C ) can be added to wine to preserve colour.
Of course this makes winedrinking an even healthier pastimeathumb..

Its called chill haze and i see it in some but not all of my WOW variants, i guess the best thing to do is only chill it for as short a time you can or ignore it like i do, shame it spoils the look of a really clear wine but at least it tastes the same. :thumb:

Which WOW variant are you finding a problem?
I like my wine well chilled so I have succumbed to using a Football freezer mug, keep mug in freezer until you want a cold wine, I am sure it is designed for cold beers but I don't give a damn, it gives a lovely UNDILUTED chilled wine, not lady like but serves the purpose 😎

Are you adding a litre of grape juice to each DJ?

I now use citric acid in all my juice drink wines i didn't before and it does make a difference, you might want to try one with and one without so you can see the difference.
I am just about to put down a couple of WOW, OJ, RGJ and a Cranberry. In my fruit and veg delivery was included some fresh limes will the fresh squeezed juice of them do anything or not if added, I normally put a teaspoon of lemon juice in my WOW which is why I ask?

I am just about to put down a couple of WOW, OJ, RGJ and a Cranberry. In my fruit and veg delivery was included some fresh limes will the fresh squeezed juice of them do anything or not if added, I normally put a teaspoon of lemon juice in my WOW which is why I ask?

I cannot see any harm other than you are not going to now how it effected the original unless you make two identical and only put the lime juice in one, to be honest as its your first time i would make a straight forward WOW then you know what the basic one tastes like.

Has anybody tried making a sparkling WOW, say with 1l red grape, 1.5l Apple juice, the other usual ingredients then shoved in some soda bottles with pouring priming sugar once cleared....?

I have used a soda syphon to make sparkling WOW.

very nice.!!!!!!

Unfortunately i beleve these are now collectors items.But they use the standard co2 bulb used by king-kegs ect so the bulbs at least are readily avaiable

Last edited:
I have used a soda syphon to make sparkling WOW.

very nice.!!!!!!

Unfortunately i beleve these are now collectors items.But they use the standard co2 bulb used by king-kegs ect so the bulbs at least are readily avaiable

Nice ye I think a sparkling WOW rose would be good!

I have a question regarding these WOW recipes, I notice generally people seem to use more apple than grape juice, for example 1.5 - 2 litres apple then only 1 litre of red grape.

Given that these make nice kind of rose or table wines why don't people use say 2 red grape and 1 apple etc.

I bought an 8 pack of Stute WGJ online and was considering using more grape juice, will this be a mistake?

For me, you don't need to, so I don't because apple juice is approx 50p/ L and grape juice £1. My thinking is why bother if it doesn't improve things? The most grape I use is 1L Grape, 1L apple and 1L of Morrisons Apple, Grape & Raspberry. That's a cracking rose that is. I did 2L Grape and 1L apple once, and it was no better than 1L Grape 2L Apple. But, have an experiment and see ~ you won't go 'wrong', if you see what I mean. You might even prefer the result. Half the fun of it for me is walking around the supermarket thinking 'can I make wine from whats in that carton?' :D

I always use more apple juice as its cheap I did try making a red grape juice only wine once I didn't make that one again, the beauty of these wines is they are cheap as chips so why not have a go at your own recipe and see how it turns out.

Great thanks for the replies. In that case I might try and save the WGJ I bought online and only use 1 carton as I paid around £22 for an 8 pack.

I like that people say they don't need to be aged for a long time either, I'm sure I'll manage to get through them fairly quickly stuck at home isolating!

Also the "red" grape juice wont make red wine.
It will come out like a pale "rose" colour.
Red wine is made by fermenting black grapes on the skins.
Or an industrial process in red wine kits

You are right they DONT need to be aged.
They can be drunk strait-away.

Back